Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Spidy

If you have the skills come on down..it is busier than hell down here, but there is wage shock

Talking

Originally posted by Spidy
    I'm moving south real soon and I am from michigan however it sounds like I wont be to well recieved down there............... so much for southern hospitality.....

I would never impose a so called "northern philospy" on anyone...

Comon now....it's genetic.

Originally posted by James 3528
    I'm moving south real soon and I am from michigan however it sounds like I wont be to well recieved down there............... so much for southern hospitality.....

Comon now....it's genetic.

James your haterd for northerners and michiganders in praticuler leads me to beleave you were hurt by someone from michigan.

I feel your pain and it's ok, let it out, tell us about it, get it off your chest you'll feel better!

I am not angry at your misplaced dislike for all people that live where the intelligence and politness is important(the north)Please know I forgive you and it's ok to love again.

Your friend from the north

SPIDY

Seeking work in florida

I am an experianced hvac- refrigeration Tech. I have Fifteen years experiance and am still young enogh to lift and haul. I am currently in the fernandina and jacksonville area for the week. I would like to interview with any interested employers. I am here house searching for the week to relocate in the area. I hear there is a lot of work. I mailed resumes out before i came down im still looking for the companies with all the work. Thanks, all inquires welcome

Joel Schlossberg
    Cell 732-684-6512
    Fla. 904-491-8002
    Primary Phone: 732-714-1980
    Email: ifshrkng@aol.com

Objective:
    To obtain a position as an Air Conditioning/ Heating/Refrigeration Mechanic.

Employment History:

Employer: Hamer Refrigeration. Title: Service Manager/ Technician
    Job Duties: Supervised shop and field crews analyzed customer needs, calculated costs, man hours and customer pricing, counseled customers on sales of equipment and systems, designed layout, adapted units as needed. Installed systems, programmed systems, explained use to customers. Organized work orders and installation teams, supervised work crews, managed repair shop, assisted owner in administration of business, trouble shooting and repair of all installed systems.
    Installed Draft Beer Systems.

Employer: Petro, Inc. Title: HVAC Technician
    Job Duties: Fuel oil and gas fired furnace maintenance and repair. Worked with hydronics, low pressure steam, air conditioning, small plumbing repair, system shutdown and activation, preventive maintenance, problem solving and consulting.

Employer: Long Branch Ice and Fuel Title: HVAC Technician
    Job Duties: Trouble shooting, preventive maintenance and installation of HVAC equipment.

Education:

Major: Heating, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Degree: Vocational Apprenticeship
    School: Ocean County Vocational Technical School Completion Date: 05/2001

Major: Basic Electricity and Electronics Degree: US Navy "A" School
    School: United States Navy

Skills and Abilities:

Conducted Inventory Control, Cash Control, scheduling, Line installation, Installation of Heating and Cooling Units, Reading Schematics and Ladder Logic, Small Vehicle Maintenance and Repair, Loss Prevention, Parts Purchasing, Shipping and Receiving, Warehouse Operations, Hiring and Firing, Team Supervision, Line Voltage Testing, Rough and Final Installations of All Types of Equipment, Control Systems, Relays, Gas Valves, Pneumatic and Hydronic Systems, Low Pressure Steam, Hydro Air, Light Plumbing, Brazing Fuel Oil Systems, Duct Work, Humidification/Filtration, Ice Machines, Refrigerant Recovery, VAV Box. Scheduled PMS.

[Edited by ifshrkng on 04-17-2004 at 07:23 AM]

Sounds like you are in the panhandle experiencing "culture shock".
    I lived in New Jersey (not by choice) for six years so I experienced it at a different level than you (I am from Pensacola). There are some very well educated hard working people in that area my step dad has a Ph.D. for example.
    There are some rednecks that have habits that are annoying, but if you get to know them a little you might understand. It is hard to break out of the mold in which you are cast. If everyone before you did it that way you fall into it too.
    If I was in your situation I would start a business myself and put the other guys you are complaining about out of business. I will probably never go back there for several reasons. I do understand your frustration it is just a different culture and takes a while to get used to.
    If you don’t like your situation change it!

“Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own." Scott Adams

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
    Albert Einstein

Exactly. I want to here new ideas, just don't insist on the "Northern Way" and we'll get along great. Coming to Tampa area?

Check with me.

Florida diffinately needs talent, but not the criticism.

Thumbs up

Tampa is a great place. One of the best on Florida's west side. Been to McDill AFB a few times.

Resume

To Boss,

I have found the position i was searching for in Florida. I would like to withdraw my resume from the job search section under the thread topic a word to the wise about florida.

Thank You.

fresh start Guest

Thumbs up Trapped in Florida

First of all I live in michigan and I have been in Florida and found the people to no differant than here. Infact in most cases have found southren people more pleasent to be around,not as up tight as northeners Although I did run into a situation I simply did not see comming from somebody in Naples. This gentleman called me to see if I would be intrested in working for him and after a few long conversations I agreeded to make the trip to Florida at my own expence,he said he would have to confirm with his brother and would call me back he called me back WELCOME ABOARD 15 dollars an hour to start the van cell phone.ETC.
    and my brother has a friend in real estate setting you up with an apartment.So I talked to the wife she said go for it when you get set up I'll come down so I took what money I could get together and left for Florida. After breaking down and stopping to see my sister I arrived to find this gentleman on vacation and his brother telling me I never agreeded to hire you just to interview you and there was no apartment. I stood there in total shock and just about broke simply could'nt think stright. How was I going to get home this ******* had the nerve to say to me no biggie stick around I'm sure you can find a job. where was I going to sleep or shower for that matter. I guess my point is that there are jerks all over the place there is nothing you can do about them just don't let it change who you are or the commitment you made to your self to be the best you can be.As I'm typing this thread I'm finding graditude in the fact that I was able to repair my van and get home.I would still move to Florida and still have the commitment to myself and whom ever I worked for except this time it's money up front.

There are a**holes everywhere.
    Florida is no different.
    Most of the people down here are transplants from somewhere else.
    There are good jobs here, and good people.
    Just like anywhere else you just have to look around and find them.
    Good luck in your search.
    We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.

Originally posted by miami mike
    Damn, now I know why my boss loves me.

I got a brand new van after 90 days(247 miles on it)

I get sent to more training classes than you would believe.

Each truck in our fleet is equiped with an H-10,digital charging scale,seven differant refrigerants,recovery machine and cylinder,spare oxy and ace..etc

With spares at the shop in case you break one.

Trane stocks our parts warehouse so its always organized and has plenty of everything.

We get profit sharing, health insurance,tool account and free tool replacement.(if broken on company time)

Our Current commercial accounts include: Hooters,BurgerKing,Mcdonalds,Outback Steakhouse,Lonestar Steakhouse,Miami Subs,Applebees......etc

We charge $89 an hour.

We run most of Carrier`s 10 yr P&L`s in our county.

And we are a Florida company.

"Pollen burning your eyes"...........YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

With an attitude like that you would not make it to "lunch break".

I lived in Michigan for 21 yrs,been down here six.

I can honestly say moving down here was the best decision Ive ever made.

Period.

Id like to talk to you more,sounds like a good Company,Although I dont get to many of the business that you mentioned ,I am mostly Downtown Chicago,we take care of about 1000 buildings from Boilers to Chillers to Small split system install..take care.Dennis

I can relate to that tirade. I'm a southern Californa guy that ended up in Florida panhandle. biggest mistake I ever made. I have to admit in general folks are more laid back but I sure miss women with teeth.

I used to camp in the desert in the summer and never bothered me but the humidity here is brutal. and every fricken thing that flies or crawls is a meat eater. skeeters, chiggers, fire ants gnats, black flies deer flies yellow flies etc.

Winter isn't bad at all in the panhandle. I did find a different work ethic thatn I was used to. Well actually not much of a work ethic. the good ol boy system is alive and well. If you ain't one of the good ol boys (doctor snapping on the glove) then you are the patient getting it shoved up the keester.

wages are terrible. don't tell me about not having state income tax. The contractors charge pretty much the same as socal did but they paid 1/3 to 1/2 for labor. and you get what you pay for.
    Apparently the health department only inspects ice machine in the big hotels because I've seen more slime here than on ghost busters. In Cal I never had slime. mineral build up but not the snot I see al the time. "Naw I don;t wanna pay to get it cleaned just get it makin ice"

The installs I have seen here are un freakin believable. Getting back to SoCal is gonna be tough cause no one wants to answer a resume 2300 miles away even though I am willing to travel on my own dime to interview for a decent job.

I'm going to have to break down and start posting pics on the wall of shame.

Quote Originally Posted by gsxrsquid View Post
    Apparently the health department only inspects ice machine in the big hotels because I've seen more slime here than on ghost busters. In Cal I never had slime. mineral build up but not the snot I see al the time. "Naw I don;t wanna pay to get it cleaned just get it makin ice"
    Thats why I never get ice in my drinks, unless I'm the one that has worked on the ice machine.
    When you do a job, Always make it easier for the next guy, because you may be the next guy working on it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast