Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Okay, I have a question about water heaters in general.

Will/should a 40 gallon heater set at 120F supply a full or close to 40 gallons at 120F?
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by wptski View Post
    Okay, I have a question about water heaters in general.

Will/should a 40 gallon heater set at 120F supply a full or close to 40 gallons at 120F?
    It should provide close to 40 gallons.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by Gimmered View Post
    Tom it would seem to me you are wanting to spend money for the sake of spending it. If you want true efficiency replace your hot water heater at the end of its life not at the beginning.

Kids really don't use that much hot water. Trust me I know kids, I have 6 of them. If the water doesn't get cold they don't know the shower is over.

Clearly you have noticed the technology is reaching the hot water arena. Are you going to need to jump into the next great new thing in another 4 years?
    Not that I am trying to spend tons of money, but the program that I am going through is the NJ clean energy - I get 50% cash back up to $10,000 towards hvac equipment, plus a 0% loan for 10 years, plus $1,000 of free air sealing insulation provided a 25% energy savings, plus I still get both the manufacturers rebates and the $1,500 federal rebate on my next tax return. Since I am switching to a 95% furnace I have to change out my water heater to prevent a backdraft issue or I have to modify the chimney. I personally would rather just use the programs money towards a new hot water heater - it really is not going to cost me too much once everything is said and done. And since I have this great deal I want the best. It will end up costing me less than half. So again, putting cost factor aside is this the best model?

I will eventually have a good use for hot water with tubs going, but certainly not right away. Hopefully it will last at least 10 years - if so I will be satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    It should provide close to 40 gallons.
    That's what I thought! Mine doesn't maintain the temperature set and worse if there's little hot water usage over a long period of time. Large hot water demands like baths is where the problem surfaces. Less than three years old and under warranty.
    Bill

That's what I thought! Mine doesn't maintain the temperature set and worse if there's little hot water usage over a long period of time. Large hot water demands like baths is where the problem surfaces. Less than three years old and under warranty.
    Is your entire water heater still under warranty. Or just your tank.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by tomwk View Post
    Not that I am trying to spend tons of money, but the program that I am going through is the NJ clean energy - I get 50% cash back up to $10,000 towards hvac equipment, plus a 0% loan for 10 years, plus $1,000 of free air sealing insulation provided a 25% energy savings, plus I still get both the manufacturers rebates and the $1,500 federal rebate on my next tax return. Since I am switching to a 95% furnace I have to change out my water heater to prevent a backdraft issue or I have to modify the chimney. I personally would rather just use the programs money towards a new hot water heater - it really is not going to cost me too much once everything is said and done. And since I have this great deal I want the best. It will end up costing me less than half. So again, putting cost factor aside is this the best model?

I will eventually have a good use for hot water with tubs going, but certainly not right away. Hopefully it will last at least 10 years - if so I will be satisfied.
    tom,

If you have not already done so you may want to check out the features of the Polaris and compare the two. If I remember correctly the Polaris has a ten year warranty and a stainless steel tank and no anode rods.

Is your entire water heater still under warranty. Or just your tank.
    I believe six years on the whole thing. It's a Sears which sure looks like a AO Smith of the same class.
    Bill

I believe six years on the whole thing. It's a Sears which sure looks like a AO Smith of the same class.
    Might want to check your warranty paper work before you call them and get a surprise.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by tomwk View Post
    I just watched the video for the vertex on the ao smith site. It was installed in a house for a family of 5. It has the ability to use an additional hot water out for radiant heat, but you don't have to use it. Obviously the video raved about it, and never mentioned short cycling.

So why would this unit be considered oversized? My current 50 gallon ao smith water heater is 4 years old and has never run out of hot water since I installed all new low flow shower heads, but it used to before I switched them all. Plus I have kid #1 now which is starting to take a lot of baths. And kid #2 is on the way which will eventually mean more baths. And baths take up a lot of hot water.

If everyone still thinks it is oversized, then should I just consider a smaller vertex model? I still want the high efficiency and performance.
    water heaters are rated both on storage capacity and recovery rate. A higher efficiency unit will have a higher recovery rate, storage tanks are used to store enough capacity to meet peak usage at a given recovery rate. So basically sizing a hot water heater is picking one that meets your peak useage. The two things that get you there, storage and recovery rate, are inversly proportional.

Some of the websites have calculators that you can size water heaters. I know Rheem has one.
    Steamfitters Local 602

Might want to check your warranty paper work before you call them and get a surprise.
    Looked again. It has a six years on the liner for leaks and controls parts but after two years there is a labor charge.

It actually acted up and fixed itself last year, right around that two year mark too!!
    Bill

Looked again. It has a six years on the liner for leaks and controls parts but after two years there is a labor charge.

It actually acted up and fixed itself last year, right around that two year mark too!!

Trust me. It did not fix itself. Symptoms went away. problem was still there.
    Contractor locator map

I contacted 2 different reps at AO Smith and both assured me that I would not experience a short cycling problem - especially not one that would drastically affect the life of the unit - even if I am not using it to its full potential.

So I am going to go with it and take my chances.

Thanks for all the opinions.

If you are switching out your furnace too then you could do the polaris and a hydronic air handler and then the polaris can heat your home and your water and you only need 1 set of pvc sidewall vents, less gas piping etc, add in a little hydronic piping and controls and your all set

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast