+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: old school JCI panel

Post Likes

old school JCI panel

My boss discovered one of these on a job-site and was left feeling a bit nostalgic. He used to calibrate these some 30+ years ago; back when I wasn't even a thought. However, I know some of you are old enough to remember and may enjoy the sight. Can anyone guess how old this panel is?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by digo View Post
    My boss discovered one of these on a job-site and was left feeling a bit nostalgic. He used to calibrate these some 30+ years ago; back when I wasn't even a thought. However, I know some of you are old enough to remember and may enjoy the sight. Can anyone guess how old this panel is?
    I'll guess 30 years, it doesn't say Johnson Service Company.

I've got "copies" of the first contract our branch received. It's dated mid 1800's and is for pneumatic classroom thermostats. Something like 800 bucks to do the whole school. I guess that was big money back then. The school is still a customer today.

Post Likes
    Just looking at the receiver gauges I would guess the mid/late 60's ! But the lables look like early 70's. I have seen some of the old Johnson Service Company panels with similar lables (Johnson Control System, note the lack of an "s" on the end of control)
    If sense were so common everyone would have it !
    You cannot protect the Stupid from themselves !
    "Experience is the ability to recognize a mistake Before you make it again!" (Stolen Quote)

Post Likes
    I'm with you CCIKelly. Those gauges are quite old. Construction of the panel is curious as well.
    "Controls is a lifestyle not a job" -klrogers

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dapper View Post
    I'm with you CCIKelly. Those gauges are quite old. Construction of the panel is curious as well.
    I wonder if the union label is still in it-usually has a date written on it
    "It's not that I'm smart, it's that I stay with the problem longer”
    Albert Einstein

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    very soon it is you that will be pwned

Post Likes
    Xarralu, no union sticker found on it. The boss is in the processing of cleaning it up - he found out some of the pencil writing won't come off, which may end up leaving it with a nice touch. He'll look around for any date codes in the back.

Joey, 1964 sounds like a good guess. He tells me these panels were already a few years old in 68-69 when he was an apprentice at a Kodak Plant. So I guess I misspoke about the 30+, it was more like 40+ years.

Also, I was surprised to find out this thing was up and running until the recent remodel. All gauges are still in working order.

Post Likes
    Also, I was surprised to find out this thing was up and running until the recent remodel. All gauges are still in working order.
    That's really an interesting find-especially to hear it was still tickin' up until removal. Keep us up-to-date.
    Albert Einstein

Post Likes
    Xarralu, Also, I was surprised to find out this thing was up and running until the recent remodel. All gauges are still in working order.
    Why were you suprised ? I know of several building with 1964-68 vintage pneumatics that are still operating, correctly I might add. Knowledgeable maintenence and repair is the key. Well,... plus the "Clean Dry Air" part.

Who said pneumatics are obsolete ? I think they are wrong.
    "Experience is the ability to recognize a mistake Before you make it again!" (Stolen Quote)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CCIKelly View Post
    Why were you suprised ? I know of several building with 1964-68 vintage pneumatics that are still operating, correctly I might add. Knowledgeable maintenence and repair is the key. Well,... plus the "Clean Dry Air" part.

Who said pneumatics are obsolete ? I think they are wrong.

Actually. Yes. I started out with pneumatics and saw most of the systems not near as old in real bad shape. Last one I can remember was on the second floor (compressor in the basement) and I pulled a new tstat line right before lunch. I folded over the tstat line so that the main wouldn't drain (as much). Came back from lunch and there was a spot of oil on the floor!

Did not mean to offend you. Just past experince. I personally like pneumatics still.
    Albert Einstein

Post Likes
    No offense taken. My point is that pneumatics, properly maintained, will last a very long time.

The biggest problem is that there a lot of buildings out there that don't even get the compressor tanks drained/checked on a weekly let alone daily basis.

The heart of every pneumatic system is that "Clean Dry Air". Neglect the air compressor and you doom the rest of the system to a slow death. Once the system is "Jacked" most people are unwilling (unable/un-trained) to repair it when it can be converted to the "Better DDC" controls. The concept of DDC being "Better" can cause a huge debate.

Your comment about the oil spot on the new stat line speaks volumes about system maintenence or lack of.

If people took care of their cars equally as well as they care for pneumatic system more of them would be walking or taking the bus !

Post Likes
    Hey Digo, Any more pictures/info?
    Albert Einstein

Post Likes
    I have a JOHNSON SERVICE COMPANY tech manual from 1953 and the T900 ( control in middle ) is shown in it , but the Gauges from that time have JOHNSN SERVICE COMPANY at the bottom of the faces.

Post Likes
    DO NOT Throw those away! They are the earliest pneumatice all brass controls made by Johnson Service Company going back as earily as the 40's. The two controls on the bottom right and left are Johnson T800's pneumatic receiver controlers. The one in the center is a T900 series which has pneumatic reset and that is why there are two dials.

In order for them to work they must be installed level and on a flat plane. The slide levers are settings for sensitivity. The brass port on the center left is for setting the air passage to the control also known as the pin valve.

I may still have the technical material for these controllers. I still do have the set-up/calibration kit made by Johnson Controls for these types of controllers if you want to see some pictures with instructions.

The controls used intergral thermostat elements to work as well as the gauges. That is why commercial building had these panels located withing the machine room and near the respective controlled units.

The only thing that is missing for the complete control is the series T400 brass wall mounted thermostats that go along with the control panel. Somewhere in that building you will find them alon with the brass wall plate or pipe head as we use to call them.

The Seattle school system, last time I was there, still have building full of that version of controls and all still work just like the day they were installed. I'm sure the DDC controls guys have gotten to them now though.

Keep it as an example of days gone by where workmanship counted. Just don't throw it away. Get the rest too if there are any left.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Post Likes

Thumbs up updated pics

cleaned up pretty good

Post Likes

full screen

larger sizes in my dropbox shared gallery.

Post Likes
    Beautiful. One of the controllers has a compensating power element which typically means it was a long run. The T800's and the one T900 looks to be in perfect order. Are the power elements still in charge (working)?

It's very unusual to see the controllers mounter flush with the panel as it took a lot longer for the panel builder to install them that way. The specifications must have called for flush mounted controllers.

Even the pin valve fittings are still in place.

Thanks for sharing. They bring back a lot of memories.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Post Likes
    We tear that stuff out and replace it with state of art controls.
    A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.

The best part of going to work is coming back home at the end of the day.

Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all.

Post Likes
    Like DELTA T noted , brings back some memories. Had a lot in this area that were flush mounted , seems 1 mechanic was good at it and did his jobs that way.

York56 The STATE of the ART stuff would not have the life span this old stuff had and would likely have been replaced 3 or 4 times by now.

Post Likes
    This is what built the brand.
    Such a shame to see it squandered.

Digo, I have some pics of a panel that look identical to that one.
    Probably built by the same guy. I will look for them and post.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in