Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face Walk-In Cooler OOPS

So, I learned something new today regarding low profile walk-in cooler evaporator coil drain pans (specifically ColdZone).

This is the style where the fans are on the bottom mounted in the drain pan, sucks air up the bottom and blows it out the sides.

Well, the screws holding the drain pan in cannot be longer than about 3/4". Because if you use a 1" screw it makes a bad hissing sound as you drive in the screw with your impact driver.

Luckily another tech was nearby to weld up the hole in the U-Bend and get the thing running again...and luckily the thing was pumped down and off when it happened so only 2 lbs of R22 were lost!

Surprisingly my boss didn't freak out; his words were "So did you learn something?"

Did you loose the screw ?
    When I'm taking those screws out I drop the pan a little and send them back in until the pan is ready to go back on.
    If the speed nut is in the cover zip um back in there.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Smile

I Know exactly how you felt ..< bbut the good thing iz it only happens once !

"Rock-n-Roll " Ain't noise pollution..

Actually this was a really old unit from 1992 and the screws were so rusted that the shaft was very thin and couldn't get tight anymore, so I installed new screws.

Quote Originally Posted by trippintl0 View Post
    So, I learned something new today regarding low profile walk-in cooler evaporator coil drain pans (specifically ColdZone).

This is the style where the fans are on the bottom mounted in the drain pan, sucks air up the bottom and blows it out the sides.

Well, the screws holding the drain pan in cannot be longer than about 3/4". Because if you use a 1" screw it makes a bad hissing sound as you drive in the screw with your impact driver.

Luckily another tech was nearby to weld up the hole in the U-Bend and get the thing running again...and luckily the thing was pumped down and off when it happened so only 2 lbs of R22 were lost!

Surprisingly my boss didn't freak out; his words were "So did you learn something?"
    You should get a box of non hissing screw's.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

Got to love a man who admits he made a mistake. Had to repair one on a small prep table once. Owner did same thing after cleaning coil up.

Yea and what sucks is when that usually happens, its late in the day and that's the last screw you put back

LOL....thats why I always use a nut driver working near coils.........now that you posted this in a public forum you will be getting a large bill from the EPA.

Did he say two pounds of vapor ?

Quote Originally Posted by trippintl0 View Post
    you have a good boss
    IV IV IX

use your head for something other than a hat rack.......Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by crackertech View Post
    You should get a box of non hissing screw's.
    LMAO!

I had one of those days where everything goes wrong and I made the same mistake with a unibit into a 5/8 liquid line.

A guy I know was putting one of those Frame and panel kits on a Trane Intellipak you guessed it. I think it was less than 100 lbs of R-22 but not much less. And I replaced an evaporator in a Trane Voyager that the air balance guy drilled a hole in. Brand new unit. he drilled it right near where the u bend goes back into the coil.
    Challenge yourself, take the CM test --- Certificate Member since 2004 ---Join RSES ---the HVAC/R training authority ---www.rses.org

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast