Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Best set of manifold guages?

Hi, just wondering what you guys would recommend when it comes to
    a reliable set of guages? I'm an Alberta apprentice and want to start
    picking up all the right gear. Thanx D.R

try digi-cool....go digital!

I'd go with whatever your supply house has in stock and can or have replacement parts for them.

I'd go with the best 4 valve manifold that you can afford. Imperial - Eastman , Ritchie Brute , or the digital that some folks prefer. Just get a 4 valve with a 3/8 vac. hose and you'll be ready for anything.

Get one set for R410a and another set for R22 etc. Some of the supply houses around here are selling the rookies gauges that have temp scales for both refrigernts and it doesn't work out to well.

if you want the best & most reliable go with the digi=cool.
    very accurate & can take a real beating. had mine in a real downpour earlier this afternoon & had no ill effects at all. i havent tried submerging them in a bucket of water but would bet that they would survive.

i'm all for the yellow jacket gauges.. i had a few sets of imperials and never had good luck with them. i never tried a digital gauge... thought that was a waste of money. like the other person said.. buy 2 different gauges because you never want to mix oils in your gauges.

Quote Originally Posted by marvin View Post
    if you want the best & most reliable go with the digi=cool.
    very accurate & can take a real beating. had mine in a real downpour earlier this afternoon & had no ill effects at all. i havent tried submerging them in a bucket of water but would bet that they would survive.
    Another vote for digi-cools.

I will vote AGAINST the Brute/Titan manifold, though. A poor piece of design work.

Quote Originally Posted by airproguyrick View Post
    Get one set for R410a and another set for R22 etc. Some of the supply houses around here are selling the rookies gauges that have temp scales for both refrigernts and it doesn't work out to well.
    I'm certainly no rookie. I have a Yellow Jacket set that does both and I've been very satisfied. I just purge them between uses. For me the price, the convenience and the size of them is perfect.

I prefer the Imperial, 4 valve manifolds over Ritchie 4 valve manifolds. Ritchie manifold pistons are crap. But I recommend getting the ritchie heavy duty, permeation proof, black hoses. Excellent for vacuum.

Quote Originally Posted by newoldtech View Post
    I'm certainly no rookie. I have a Yellow Jacket set that does both and I've been very satisfied. I just purge them between uses. For me the price, the convenience and the size of them is perfect.
    even though you still purge your gauges, oil still remains in the gauges. R-22 oil "synthetic" doesn't mix with HFC "R-410A, R-134A" a few common ones that require a POE oil. always better to use one gauge for R-22 and the other for R-410A, otherwise you may contaminate another system.

Quote Originally Posted by beavercreekhc View Post
    even though you still purge your gauges, oil still remains in the gauges. R-22 oil "synthetic" doesn't mix with HFC "R-410A, R-134A" a few common ones that require a POE oil. always better to use one gauge for R-22 and the other for R-410A, otherwise you may contaminate another system.
    Prove it.

The cross-contamination issue with oil has been overblown by many.

In my years of working on refrigeration equipment from tiny to huge, I've never worried a whole lot about oil cross contamination.

Never seen a problem that was directly related, either.

Until I went digital, I did carry a 410 manifold simply because of the higher pressures.

I've used Imperial,YelloJacket and Robinair.I was happy with all of them and can't remember any problems with any of them.
    Gauges are a tool and like all tools if you keep them clean and maintained,they will service you well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast