Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Talking

Yep, down south that's all that matters....

varooooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

WOW-this treads longer than my 8-> (nose).

Certification -yes
    What was the other ?
    If you think our goverment is screwed up. You haven't lived in another country.

Originally posted by Tempted

Certification -yes
    What was the other ?
    2. Do people with long noses have short...........
    thingys??

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Originally posted by Diceman
    Originally posted by Tempted

Certification -yes
    What was the other ?
    2. Do people with long noses have short...........
    thingys??

No we don't.

And I think that question is kinda gay.

Talking

I'll have to ask the War Dept about that in August.

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

No.
    No.
    Even though we would make lots more money if we were regulated and even more so if we were self regulated, look at the AMA and what doctors have done for themselves, they started by wanting to do good and stayed to do well, quite well (How would you like to have all those refrigerators and air conditioners patiently waiting in line at your shop paying $100 per every 7 minutes of your time? No worry about travel time, bad weather, etc., etc).. Hey, if I wasn't so independent I'd reconsider. With those kind of regulations we could keep regular Joe HVAC out and permit only the most brilliant test taking minds into our field. Tests and certifications are of importance only to those just entering the field trying to get a job, sometimes it's for those of us who do it for fun. Very few tests are of any use as teaching instruments since they confuse rather than ilucidate the points they cover and too often these tests are writen by morons in a hurry.

42yrs exp is offline Professional Member BM -bad email address
    The NATE job site say's that NATE certification is voluntary
    Well, three month's ago my boss told me that if I want to keep my job I have to get nate certified. I have over 40 yrs exp. (I am now NATE certified, what a waste).

The only one that the NATE certification makes look good is the business owner. It is a bunch of hype, and a big rip off for technicians, especially those that have 10, 20, 30 years or more experience. I just started my own business and not one of the ten HVAC/R places I applied for credit ask me for my nate certification. And not one customer has ever or will ever ask me for my NATE certification. Unless an employee from nate calls me for service. But I have seen an ad that says Customers want nate certified repair men, bolony. One serviceman, I know, ask the boss for a raise after being certified by NATE. His boss said the same think as mine, You need it to keep your job. All of a sudden years, and years, and years, and years of experience don't mean anything, just the NATE certification. Gee I wonder who's getting rich on the NATE certification program. I can
    guarantee you that it is not the service technician.

Talking

I take it that is a double NO vote??

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

No!

Originally posted by 42yrs exp
    Well, three month's ago my boss told me that if I want to keep my job I have to get nate certified. I have over 40 yrs exp. (I am now NATE certified, what a waste).

The only one that the NATE certification makes look good is the business owner. It is a bunch of hype, and a big rip off for technicians, especially those that have 10, 20, 30 years or more experience. I just started my own business and not one of the ten HVAC/R places I applied for credit ask me for my nate certification. And not one customer has ever or will ever ask me for my NATE certification. Unless an employee from nate calls me for service. But I have seen an ad that says Customers want nate certified repair men, bolony. One serviceman, I know, ask the boss for a raise after being certified by NATE. His boss said the same think as mine, You need it to keep your job. All of a sudden years, and years, and years, and years of experience don't mean anything, just the NATE certification. Gee I wonder who's getting rich on the NATE certification program. I can

It was not a waste, you got to keep your job!

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL

Do you have any idea how many working "technicians" can't pass it,on their first try?

That's why it's needed,not for a guy like you,but for the 20 to 30% ,who fail it.I'd be happy starting a new company to put it and natex.org on my cards and advertising,some consumers care.

Originally posted by NormChris

It was not a waste, you got to keep your job!

For whatever it was worth. He's self employed now. Wonder if he will make himself retake it? Ohhh the power of self employment!
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

ah the pros and cons.

it may be a hassle for those of us working in the industry, it way be a sales point for the boss. but the bottom line is that proffesional certification should be apreciated by professionals. IOUE members maintain BOMA certs. hvac techs have 608 licences, contractors carry c-20, c-40 etc.

so i ask why should'nt a competent tech attain and maintain certification for their profesion.

every proffesion has licencing and certifications. by calling NATE certification a waste of time (mind you i am not NATE certified) you are calling the HVAC industry a job not a profession. have you ever seen a grocery baggers union, or grocery baggers certification, you must attain certification to ensure you never place the cans on grandmas eggs. i am glad that the HVAC industry is more complex than that, otherwise the market would be flooded with knowledgeable techs and we would'nt have work.

prfessional certification provides:
    consumer assurance.
    acknowledges professional achievement. (i.e. iwent to law school but can't pass the bar, hense you will not be a lawyer anybody have a problem with that?)
    seperates professionals from the rest. (by achieveing certification you ensure those that don't do the same stand out, if the industry would only quit *****ing about how good we are already, back any certification and we could closae the market down to those of us that are acknowledged pros.

edit start...
    my votes are NO and NO but as you read i am in support of certification. i would suggest it come from a recognized trade organization an ASHRAE technical cert. or something like that, i believe nates failure is due to it's lack of industry wide acceptance. some tech prescribe to RSES, good bunch, some to the unions, again good bunch, and yet others to IHACI, Vocational schools, yadayadayada. all good but any attempt to certify us will fail until the organization is accepted industry wide. NATE just dos'nt sound too good to me, if there were an ashrae certification for hvac pros i would jump on board in a heartbeat. RSES is looking goood to me in my area, seriously considering joining. until then we as an industry will be spouting of at the mouth so to say about or organizations certification.

what about a state certification, i understand this has been tried in the past. to work in the welding industry you have to have state certification, why not for ours. it is our consumers that want this stuff they just don't know the difference between any of them.

[Edited by hvac3901 on 06-12-2004 at 08:49 PM]

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast