Lennox 14XP Elite versus 14HPX Merit

I am in southwest Florida. I know forum rule is no price talk so I am only mentioning price difference between 2 units offered by same dealer.

I just got two heat pump quotes on a 3.5 ton Lennox 14XP Elite and 14HPX Merit. Both units were paired with the CBX270UH air handler.

Dealer told me CBX270UH was variable speed but web site does not back that up. Is it?

The price difference was pretty significant so I am trying to understand the differences.

Elite is quieter (71 versus 76 db but I don't really know what that means in real life).

Elite has better cabinet (better protection for coil).

I read something in the forum about low and high pressure switches in compressor?!? I don't know what that means but it seemed like Merit unit was missing one of these. Should I care?

I currently have a 10 year old Lennox 12HPB36 (I had a 3 ton, upping to 3.5 ton due to house addition). My unit looks like the Merit model -- very little coil protection. One thing that I never liked about my current unit is how loud it is when shutting off -- should like horrible grinding but has been that way since day 1.

Do you think the Elite is worth more than Merit? I plan on being in this house a long time but the is a lot to me. Thanks!!!
    Last edited by beenthere; 02-09-2010 at 04:50 PM. Reason: prices

Well, they're certainly making some money on the upgrade--and that's okay, though I would agree with you it is considerable. Also, the CBX27UH is certainly not a variable-speed unit; they may have quoted this if trying to meet tax credit requirements, because while not variable speed it does have the higher efficiency ratings needed typically. Did they do any calculation to determine what size you really needed with the home addition, or check the ductwork to make sure it could handle a larger unit? The Elite unit is certainly quieter (5 dBA is a considerable difference but may not be bothersome to you--wouldn't be to me). The coil protection is better on the Elite as you know, though I believe IF REGISTERED ONLINE the warranties would be the same on both. Ask your dealer about this. As far as pressure switches go, both will have high pressure protection externally (i.e., high pressure switches). The XP14 will have a low pressure switch but I do not believe the 14HPX does, interestingly enough, based on the Engineering Handbooks I looked through.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    Well, they're certainly making some money on the upgrade--and that's okay, though I would agree with you it is considerable. Also, the CBX27UH is certainly not a variable-speed unit; they may have quoted this if trying to meet tax credit requirements, because while not variable speed it does have the higher efficiency ratings needed typically. Did they do any calculation to determine what size you really needed with the home addition, or check the ductwork to make sure it could handle a larger unit? The Elite unit is certainly quieter (5 dBA is a considerable difference but may not be bothersome to you--wouldn't be to me). The coil protection is better on the Elite as you know, though I believe IF REGISTERED ONLINE the warranties would be the same on both. Ask your dealer about this. As far as pressure switches go, both will have high pressure protection externally (i.e., high pressure switches). The XP14 will have a low pressure switch but I do not believe the 14HPX does, interestingly enough, based on the Engineering Handbooks I looked through.
    Thanks.

On the Lennox, the warranties are the same. I can upgrade to 10/10/10 for about on either unit.

I got quotes from 4 dealers. Two of the dealers did thorough sizing and came up with 3.5 ton. Two of the dealers recommended all new duct work and the other two said current ducts were fine, even for upgrade to 3.5 ton. I will be adding 2 new ducts to get AC to the additional space added.

What does the low pressure switch do? Turn off unit if freeon is low? Is it important?
    Last edited by beenthere; 02-10-2010 at 03:50 PM. Reason: price

Cuts off the condenser if pressures are too low (freon too low, airflow too low, coil frozen, etc.). It is important in my opinion. I'm not 100% sure what kind of protection the 14HPX has in that regard. Perhaps someone else does.

The blower motor in that unit is a programmable multi speed motor. I would consider it a step between your standard motors and variable speed motors...

You cant hit some different tax credits with the XP14. I dont know if the 14HPX will or not. The Elite series is a higher quality system, better case, little quieter, looks better, and I thought it had a better warranty but maybe they are the same?

We sell the heck out of the XP14's and XC14's, mostly because we can get them to hit the tax credits. I can only remember selling one 14HPX and that was because tax credits were totally out of the question for this particular job.

Quote Originally Posted by CynicX View Post
    The blower motor in that unit is a programmable multi speed motor. I would consider it a step between your standard motors and variable speed motors...

You cant hit some different tax credits with the XP14. I dont know if the 14HPX will or not. The Elite series is a higher quality system, better case, little quieter, looks better, and I thought it had a better warranty but maybe they are the same?

We sell the heck out of the XP14's and XC14's, mostly because we can get them to hit the tax credits. I can only remember selling one 14HPX and that was because tax credits were totally out of the question for this particular job.
    Thanks for the tip that the 14HPX might not qualify for the tax credit. I assumed all quotes salesman would qualify because I specifically told him I only want systems that do qualify. I will confirm before I go that route.

That low pressure switch is very important in certain circumstances. I've seen a few Lennox systems right at or past the 10 year warranty lose charge and run too long without refrigerant. Most likely the compressor will overheat and shut down long enough to cool off, but it will start back up and continue committing suicide;-) If everyone happens to be away from the house while this is happening, it's not good at all! If you get the unit without the low pressure switch, I would recommend having a technician install one. Err or the side of caution.