Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

York Seal issues

Replacing a bellows seal on a YT, this is the first one i am doing on this chiller but it is the fifth one over seven years. The seals seem to be running hot and burning up, problem is we don't do inspections on them and i only know what they tell me as far as temps and pressures of oil so on and so on... they granted us a teardown to inspect, i found the low speed bearing was installed incorrectly, the locking bolt was not into the hole to lock the bearing and it spun inside the casing causing the oil port in the oil dam of the bearing to move away from the port in the casing where oil is feed from the high speed bearing. Other than that the inside is fine and the bearing is ok. The locking bolt wasn't leaking even though the o-ring was not making contact.
    I was thinking that the bearing holes not being lined up was slowing the oil flow down through the low speed bearing and heating up before reaching the seal. This is the first one of these i have had apart.
    Model # YTK1D1E2-CRJ Comp. # YDTL-120

Any thoughts??

And we will be doing inspections on this site from here on out now.

Just wondering.......... how was the low speed rear bearing?

Oops, never mind. I see that you mentioned it was ok

It would be my suggestion to not put a bellows seal in a YDTL compressor. There was a problem from the get-go with those. I know, because I put in 3 myself on the same compressor and had the same symptoms and same outcome on all 3. I also advised on 3 others that were changed multiple times each by other mechanics (my advice was to go back with a 6 spring after the experience I had with the first one, but the factory wanted to keep putting in the bellows). I finally said no, and installed a 6 spring on the one I was doing myself, and voila, no more problems. One of the other guys followed suit with the same results, they finally found a place one would run after multiple changes, and I left before the final fight on the last one, although I heard that they wound up going back to a 6 spring and it solved their problem.

It gets really involved trying to explain everything that happened, so suffice it to say that the seals are overheating. My opinion from what I saw was that the face pressure is too great because of a reduced distance between the rotating seal face and the back side of the cover plate. I even told the guys at the factory that if they took out one of the folds in the bellows, it would probably solve the whole thing, but didn't hear anything out of it.

Correctly installed and all else being correct, I guarantee the 6 spring will solve your problem. If you have the same issue that we did, you'll be pouring sand down a rathole if you keep using the others. That being said, the bellows work great on the YDTJ's.

Some of the ones that I have done were 6 spring I have also done the bellows with similar results , here are some blue letters on these seals what the Factory recommends and troublshooting guide.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Arguing with your Boss is like wrestling with a pig in
    mud.
    After a while you realize that while you are getting
    dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.

It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it
    creative problem solving.

25 years ago we had Bob Hope , Steve Jobs , and Johnny Cash today we have no Hope no Jobs and no Cash !
    I can fix broke but i can't fix stupid !

Are the bellows seals good to use on YS screw machines.

Thanks...Klove are you still looking for a manometer?? I might know where to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by bobby m View Post
    Here is the information on the YS detailed on repair and part numbers for repair , these numbers are different than the YT & YK part numbers.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Arguing with your Boss is like wrestling with a pig in
    mud.
    After a while you realize that while you are getting
    dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.

It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it
    creative problem solving.

25 years ago we had Bob Hope , Steve Jobs , and Johnny Cash today we have no Hope no Jobs and no Cash !
    I can fix broke but i can't fix stupid !

Quote Originally Posted by DITAW View Post
    Thanks...Klove are you still looking for a manometer?? I might know where to get one.
    Love to have one that's in decent shape. Thanks for remembering...

And as an afterthought on the other post - regardless of which type seal used, I always set my seal pressure at 1 to 2 psig at close to design conditions. Different folks have different opinions on that area, and that's mine, for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by bobby m View Post
    As shown in the pdf that York56 attached, the only thing you can get for the YS's is a bellows type. The old original seals are long gone to the best of my knowledge.

Good info there, 56. The more you post, the bigger my pdf library gets. If you ever get down this way, I owe you lunch.

ill get the model number of the manometer tomorrow i just bought one about six months ago... got it from carrier, they use to come with old absorbers, they told me they only had two left and when they were gone that was it. I think it was around $400.

Carrier # KM 07AY 051.... Good luck, like i said they told me they only had two left.

Thanks. Let us know how the seal turns out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast