Thread: loud gas logs

loud gas logs

I just installed a new set of vent free gas logs. Everything is great accept for they are loud. You can hear the sound of the gas flowing through the system. I've never had vent free logs before so maybe they are all this way, but I doubt it.

What could be causing this? Only three possibilities that I can come up with are: (1) this is normal, (2) the flexible hose I used is too small, or (3) I bought a poorly designed log set.

What do you guys think? I'm hoping for #2, but can having an undersized flexible hose cause it to be louder than it should be? The new hose I bought is small (3/8" OD). The hose packaging said it is good for up to 34,000 BTU/Hr and the logs are rated at 32,000 BTU/Hr.

Is it a whistling noise? This is typically caused by the flexible appliance connectors.

Quote Originally Posted by jtp10181 View Post
    Is it a whistling noise? This is typically caused by the flexible appliance connectors.
    No. It's more like the sound a burner on a gas stove makes, just a lot louder.

Dunno then, could be normal, could mean its not installed right and ready to explode or releasing lots of CO into your house. Should have a pro come inspect it. Did you buy it from a dealer, or a hardware store?

Quote Originally Posted by jtp10181 View Post
    Dunno then, could be normal, could mean its not installed right and ready to explode or releasing lots of CO into your house. Should have a pro come inspect it. Did you buy it from a dealer, or a hardware store?
    Hardware store. I think you're right though. I'm going to have a pro come look at it.

Just make sure they are familiar with vent free fireplaces. They are a totally different animal than vented fireplaces. I know plenty about vented fireplaces, and just enough about vent free to know I should not be working on them.

I would definitely call someone that knows ventfree gas logs. If they were improperly installed, that could be one of the problems. The gas pressures in VF logs are suppose to be within a very specific range and most people do not have the proper equipment to test/adjust gas pressures.

The hardware store models are much cheaper that most gas logs, but you get just that.....cheap stuff. I had one manufacturer's customer support number programed in my cell phone because I had to call them so often due to quality control issues with their products.

I was just curious how this post was resolved. Was a service tech able to help the noise issue? I had the exact same result today on my moderately inexpensive ventless gas fireplace install. It whooshes like mad. The pilot is quiet, the flame looks good but man, it is loud.

Vented and ventless that got me stuck because 2yrs in the field I have never done a ventless gas product yet. Pretty curious about it. So is this pretty popular where you guys are at? A couple of the guys on the site have brought ventless up etc but never have had experience with them. We solely install the perterson stuff. So do they make more noise that regular vented gas logs? apologizing for hijacking just again curious.

Vent free gas fireplaces are definitely a different bird than vented or direct vent units. If you are untrained on them, it is best to call someone that has training.

The gas pressure and fuel type can cause noise issues. Ventfrees are NOT for the untrained!!!

In my area, VF are the majority of the fireplaces I see. That is mainly because VF are what the local fire shops mainly sell. I do deal with a lot of Peterson VF and the G10 model is the biggest seller in this area.