Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Pro seeking Goodman TXV help

Howdy-

I know there is probably what I'm looking for within the existing threads, or in the Pro section but I'm not finding it.

We are an eastern State of Washington Goodman/Amana dealer (for climate data).
    We install a lot of heat pumps.
    We are having a lot of TXV failures within one or two years. They are all SSZ and ASZ 14+ SEER systems. We have extensively investigated our installation procedures and have ruled out moisture, dirt, soot (nitrogen braze), etc.

We noticed they have switched from Parker to Emerson valves, but Goodman is being tight lipped and these failures and the resultant repairs are getting old. Any body else having this problem?

(Pro's only reply please.)

Well the industry wide txv issue took some time to resolve with the sporlan txv, it was micro bubbles in the welds on power heads. We have seen a few faulty compressors, havnt seen ths yet. Are you talkin indoor or outdoor txv?

I will elaborate:

The heat pump generally works o.k. while in the heat mode. when it kicks into a defrost, the indoor TXV shuts off and will not allow refrigerant to flow through the evaporator.
    The whole system then pumps the refrigerant into a hybernated state in the outdoor coil. Head pressure falls, suction pressure hits a near vacuum. The condenser has no low-pressure safety on the low (true suction) side and the compressor takes a beating.
    The unit wont defrost, the timer times out;the system returns to heat mode and performs poorly until the cycle repeats.

Goodman is suspiciously evasive about this.

Old rule was that suction pressure would have to fall on the low side 5-20 pounds below liquid line before txv would open. That quick change in direction of flow with the high pressure in the indoor coil could be locking those valves shut. That is a very interesting problem. I know parker had that issue in Rheem units.

We went through Amana txv problems a few years ago. Even had the factory guy out to see "what we where doing wrong". Just junk valves even the replacement need adjustment. By the way some of them that they say arnt adjustable are. Have fun replacing them for a while. I have gotten way to good at it.

It is no surprise, we install 90% heat pumps residential and #1 repair this winter has been outdoor txv's. Trane and Lennox mostly but have many GMP products on the market that have also failed. A few years ago Trane(sporlan) also had a problem and all I heard was "your the only one we've heard having these problems" from the TSM's. Obviously you need to deal with your customers and if your warranty pays for the repairs then think about buying the extended warranty if its under a year old from goodman. This will cover you on those sales. Much less than eating the cost of the repair. After all GMP is responsible for the failure, not you. Just for comparison, our winter txv repairs out number sequencer and relay failure combined(always way higher before). So obviously its not just you. Also look at the low inventory across the nation with txv's. Most are coming out of the factory with 2-3 day lead times.
    One question, are you saying the indoor txv isn't allowing refrigerant to flow in defrost? Therefore the outdoor txv is working in heating? Isn't the indoor txv outside the unit? Pumpdown and fast replace right? No soldering? I wouldn't be as upset about that as the outdoor unit txv due to labor/material costs. How many units had this issue for you? We had almost 60% failure of valves during the Trane issue.
    Good Luck.
    Why do I only get a HVAC license when reality is I'm a plumber, electrician, counselor and financial expert once I'm working on someone's equipment?

nevermind. That is a tough one..........Beyond me for a computer diagnosis...

We had alot more indoor txv problems. Then again we have alot more AC's out than heatpumps. Still had problems with the heatpump txv's. Dont know how many but about half the time when you get a no heat for amana you better have a txv with you.

What brand of txv is reliable on heat pumps? Had lots of calls around here also on Lennox and Goodman/Amana heat pumps with txv issues.
    I've never seen an armored car following a hearse.

A balance port TXV won't open(or atleast not enough) if its power head loses charge.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Well lets see, you make a small delicate device with several different materials that has 3 working pressures. It moves .041 inches inside. You subject it to harsh temperatures. It can be affected by sloppy (Factory) installation and it has to made in mass quantities as cheaply as possible.

Oh and now you make to subject 60% more pressure than before.

Sounds like a a recipe for disaster to me!

All the manufacturers are pulling their hair out over TXVs. You know Parker closed a plant a while back as they could not make a TXV right to save their lives....

Cool

They have switched to Emerson valves. So far so good. Watch out for replacement defrost boards. I would use ICM318 aftermarket.
    Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.

Same here, we have changed so many TXVs in the last couple years, it just frustrates the heck out of me.
    Anything I say here is only my opinion. Even if you understood what I said.... What I said may not even be what I meant.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast