+ Reply to Thread

Thread: electric vs gas

Post Likes

electric vs gas

I have a electric stove right now...i really don't like how the cook-top reacts, slow and inconsistent (cycles on and off to maintain setting). May think of going gas..has anyone made the switch? Ive cooked with gas a few times, i know i will have a learning curve, u just seem to have a more even temp and control. Do they make stoves where the oven is electric and the cook-top is gas?

Post Likes
    Yes, go to sears.
    You might think about a quartz flat top range. The elements heat up in just a few seconds. Its also super easy to clean. Dont tell my wife, but you dont actually need a pan to cook a piece of meat on the stove....

Post Likes
    If you cook alot or want to cook alot - gas is better because you can control it better. I have all electric only because gas is not available and still can not fry an egg well. I grew up on gas and love gas. Cooks on the Food Network channel use gas stoves. I've never heard of a professional cook use electric!

Post Likes
    as soon as work picks up i am getting a dual fuel stove...i HATE the electric cooktop. I cook dinner about 4 times a week, so yes i do cook a lot

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieH View Post
    If you cook alot or want to cook alot - gas is better because you can control it better. I have all electric only because gas is not available and still can not fry an egg well. I grew up on gas and love gas. Cooks on the Food Network channel use gas stoves. I've never heard of a professional cook use electric!
    When our Jen-Aire burnt out the last time we went gas. I miss the indoor grille but I have a nice Vermont Casting grille out side and when it gets real cold I have my George Foreman grille. We got a real nice GE range. Five burners on top. It has a griddle which can be removed and the spot used as a regular real big burner. As far at the over goes. It cooks great and the broiler is quicker than electric.

We too are in an area where there is no natural gas. We hooked up 2- 100 lb propane cyclinders with a switch over regulator. What the heck I'm in the trade!. One cyclinder last us around 9 months.

Post Likes
    I burn everything if I have to use electric. I even prefer the gas oven over electric works alot better with bread and baked goods and the broiler rocks.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Post Likes
    Beencool, how much does it cost to fill the 100lb cylinder?

Does anyone know if I can bury the tank? The homeowner extortion committee forbades propane tanks on privately owned property

Post Likes
    i know it sounds dumb but i do believe my cooktop is effected by other houses power consumption around me...if i start cooking in the afternoon on a cold day it gets hot fast. If i try to boil water for pasta on a hot summer day with everyone running there AC it seems to take forever. Until i moved here i never seen a cooktop cycle the coil on and off to maintain temp, it is a glasstop,

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Harper View Post
    Beencool, how much does it cost to fill the 100lb cylinder?

Does anyone know if I can bury the tank? The homeowner extortion committee forbades propane tanks on privately owned property
    It costs around $55. The price goes up and down like gasoline.

Probably they don't let you have these type of tanks in Florida because of the hurricanes.

You can get residential in ground propane tanks but I would think it wouldn't be cost effective for just cooking. Up here there are inground tanks in some residences but they also have gas heat and a gas dryer and water heater. We are prohibited from having electric heat in a residence.

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by benncool View Post
    It costs around $55. The price goes up and down like gasoline.

Probably they don't let you have these type of tanks in Florida because of the hurricanes.

You can get residential in ground propane tanks but I would think it wouldn't be cost effective for just cooking. Up here there are inground tanks in some residences but they also have gas heat and a gas dryer and water heater. We are prohibited from having electric heat in a residence.
    Really that’s strange I have lived in two places that were all electric. Didn’t see any problems, we were given a lower rate because you were all electric. Do you know why they don’t allow electric heat?

Post Likes
    I am Soooo glad I live in a neighborhood with no HOA. Soooo glad.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Neill View Post
    I am Soooo glad I live in a neighborhood with no HOA. Soooo glad.
    Yea, the affluent neighborhood is allowed to have tanks, for thier pool heaters, but us poor schmuks are not. Its the same association too.

Post Likes
    Have you seen the induction cooktop? It uses eddy currents from a 'Work Coil' to induce heat into the pan itself. No heating elements, it has to be a metal pan though. It is real fast like a microwave. And very efficient.
    Challenge yourself, take the CM test --- Certificate Member since 2004 ---Join RSES ---the HVAC/R training authority ---www.rses.org

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Bee View Post
    Have you seen the induction cooktop? It uses eddy currents from a 'Work Coil' to induce heat into the pan itself. No heating elements, it has to be a metal pan though. It is real fast like a microwave. And very efficient.
    how is it at maintaining a low temp? my electric glass top cycles the "burner" off and on to maintain temp..so instead of steady heat you get burst of hot then nothing..pain in the ass Frigidaire

Post Likes
    I don't own one but people who do say it is very good at low temperature control. Go by your local sears and look. This is not new technology. We had these at sears in the early 80's. Sanyo built one for sears and it was state of the art for its time.
    Challenge yourself, take the CM test --- Certificate Member since 2004 ---Join RSES ---the HVAC/R training authority ---www.rses.org

Post Likes
    As afr as the Home owners Geshtapo goes a "aquired" empty beer keg could convienyently (spelling?) hid a 30lb propane tank to hookup from inside the basement or garage. The keg hides it to get it filled, cut a hole in the keg and put the tank inside
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, for the ungratefull, have done so much for so long with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Refrigeration is all the same weather your making Ice, refrigerating or freezing the product.

Post Likes
    I have a gas cooktop and an electric convection oven.

Wolf top is real nice.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in