Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RTHA 300 compressor

Trane types:

Got a 300 ton compressor going in on an extended shell RTHA. Want to know from your experience some ideas. I have a rigging outfit coming in to make my lift, she is a beast at very near 5000 lbs. I have the machine pretty much down to parade rest, starter, control panel and disch line all pulled. All gas pulled and i am changing the isolation valves out as well.
    I pulled the liquid line from the bottom of the economizer drain that sends liquid to th evap orfice because I have a leak there and I also want to clean and rust proof that piping. I put allinging marks across the flange at the evap, the evap orfic and the flange that attaches to the orfice. this is really the only allignment I can make, as the entire compressor is coming off.
    It looks as if the oil housing tank brackets will help in allignment, but only to an extent.I am undecided if I want to keep the liquid drain out while setting this motor, or if it will be easier to match it back up at the orfice plate below and set both flanges under the compressor at the same time. What do you guys think?

r404a

If you can get it out while the old motor is on there than I would leave it out until the new one is set. I usually remove them so they aren't in the way.

will do ac

r404a

I leave em out too

RTHA rigging

How do you guys lift the compressors, we have two RTHA's with leaks at oil tank flange, we lifted the rebuilt compressors at the two recommended points, wondering if we should have supported the middle as well? Never enough room!

No thats good enough, the bolts are torqued to 240Ft/lbs if memory serves me correctly and the flanges are thick enough to handle it.

I just had one rebuild the from trane factory recently used 3 ton chainfalls and 6x6 13 ft long beam look up beam capacity charts to be on the safe side.

Remove everything that you can! The more things out of the way the easier the lift will be. Don't worry about alignment too much. Once you have the new compressor down on the suction and the bolts are in on the brackets, everything will bolt back up just the way it came apart. I have done so many of these that I can tell you that its not going to be a problem. Also two pick points is all you need.

thanks for the input

r404a

Hey r,

Remember I did a 300 tonner last year? Used a big gantry and 2-3 ton chainfalls. Need me to help? Will work for food.
    It might get loud!

duke

I forgot that yours was that big. I got the lifting rig trane recommends in RLC guide if you get another one. hope all is well, this economy has to turn sometime and it will be hot before we know it

r404a

Quote Originally Posted by cooolguy View Post
    I just had one rebuild the from trane factory recently used 3 ton chainfalls and 6x6 13 ft long beam look up beam capacity charts to be on the safe side.
    it's funny how we're required to look for ourselves how much it weighs, instead of the guys in the office already having looked that up.

Yeah the office guys just sit around and play on youtube and twitter and all that other fun stuff.
    It might get loud!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast