motion detection thermostat?

i have a customer with one particular room in his building that isnt used very often. because of this he doesnt want to heat/cool the room daily. there is no set schedule day/time when the room is used so a programmable thermostat isnt the best solution. he does not want to depend on his employees to turn the RTU off when finished in the room, so a non-programmable thermostat isnt the solution either.

im looking for a system with motion detection that when motion is sensed will bring the room to preset occupied temperature settings. if the motion detector doesnt detect additional motion within a preset time frame, the system should default to preset unoccupied temperature settings until motion is again detected.

many of the larger hotels have similar systems in their guest rooms, but my experience is limited to the "Energy IQ" systems that i installed somewhere around 1998 and i havent seen or heard anything of them since. in fact, i dont know if they still even produce the same products.

recommmendations apprecaited.

While I was in the Air Force, we had T-stats like what you discribed installed. They were used in the Dorm rooms, as the rooms were almost always empty during the heat of the day. The stats would maintain the space temp to never be more than 20mins from setpoint. That is to say that the stat would learn the space. They were installed with alot of opposition from the dorm rats. They were afraid that the stats would go to unoccupied while the tried to sleep. Was never a problem. I wish I could remember the manufacture and part number for you. They were easy to install since they just replaced the existing t-stat.

how big is the room? A stat like that will cost some money and the labor to hook up.

use a controller, set to always be unoccupied, have a space sensor on the wall with and occupied override switch, they hit the switch on the way in and get 4 hours of heat or cool, no switch hit no operation, with that you can also have unoccupied limits to help prevent over temp in summer or freezing in winter.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    These thermostats are very common in comercial applications, they use the building lighting for occ/unocc, adjustable so they are not affected by day/night. Very nice and work well, super common in Rite Aid stores.

thanks much for the recommendations. my customer was so happy with the light stat that ive since sold him three more and he plans to do at least a half dozen more. for his application its the perfect solution.