Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To HVAC or not

To HVAC or not

I am looking to finish my basement ,approx 1800 sq ft living space. 3 estimates to add 2 ton and 50,000 systems and 2 estimates to add duct work ,a zone and dampers to my exsisting 1st floor system which is also 1800 sq ft and has a 5 ton and 96,000 btu system...what to do.. thanks in advane

w/o doing a load calc- 2 ton is alot for a basement, where do you live?
    PA#9377
    Your Satisfaction...Our Goal.

What's the nearest major city (ie, what climate are you in)?

Your basement, are all four walls mostly underground, or do you have a lot of exposed glass, etc?? Did you insulate the basement walls?

Regardless of that, 5tons for the 1800 sq ft first floor seems way overkill. Is the home older? How's the home's attic insulation, windows, wall insulation, etc???

Depending on your climate and basement configuration, the heating/cooling load of the basement may be minimal......so zoning the existing system would make the most sense imo.

system you have for the 1st floor sounds WAYYYY oversized to start with, i would go with ducts off the existing system.

have someone do a load calc.

did a 5000 sq foot house 2 yrs ago, 2 story brand new-3 1/2 t -80k 1st floor, 2nd floor-60 k ,2 1/2 t -on hottest days, basement has never seen 70 degrees
    PA#9377

I live on Eastern Long Island ,NY, home is 5 yrs old, IN the attic I have another gas furnace, havn't check the size and a 3 ton compresser besides the house. The basement is below ground, 1 window, and I'm installing an outside entrance., b/c I'm putting in a bedroom. Not the greatest home, as far as insulation,construction, some drafts on 1st floor, 9 and 10 ft ceilings and a 2 story foyer. Basement will be a an open stairway from the 1st floor, no door seperating them. I hope I answered the questions. Humidity is my biggest fear in the basement.
    Last edited by jbages23; 02-05-2010 at 09:43 PM.

dehumidifier
    PA#9377

http://www.nordyne.com/Literature/a063B.pdfExcuse me, my 1st floor heating unit has 96k btu input, heat capacity is 77K BTU, AC is 5 tons. Here is a link to it.

Yes a dehumidifier with a direct line to a pump is in my plans..

Quote Originally Posted by jbages23 View Post
    I am looking to finish my basement ,approx 1800 sq ft living space. 3 estimates to add 2 ton and 50,000 systems and 2 estimates to add duct work ,a zone and dampers to my exsisting 1st floor system which is also 1800 sq ft and has a 5 ton and 96,000 btu system...what to do.. thanks in advane
    Unless you live in Kuwait and your basement is above the ground, you are oversized. Even a rule of thumb for my hot area puts you at a 4 ton. Have your service tech do what everyone else here is telling you to do. If you are dehumidifying, there are ways around installing an oversized system.

Maybe I misread something - 5 tons for 1800 sq ft? 5 years old? I would address that problem before anything else. That is so grossly oversized, I can't believe the comp still runs.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

Quote Originally Posted by jbages23 View Post
    I live on Eastern Long Island ,NY, home is 5 yrs old, IN the attic I have another gas furnace, havn't check the size and a 2 ton compresser besides the house. The basement is below ground, 1 window, and I'm installing an outside entrance., b/c I'm putting in a bedroom. Not the greatest home, as far as insulation,construction, some drafts on 1st floor, 9 and 10 ft ceilings and a 2 story foyer. Basement will be a an open stairway from the 1st floor, no door seperating them. I hope I answered the questions. Humidity is my biggest fear in the basement.
    As part of the process of finishing the basement, I'm assuming you'll stud it then drywall to studs. I'm also assuming you'll insulate prior to drywall.

If that's the case, your heat load will be minimal imo. Also, your cooling load will be minimal....and as you noted, your biggest challenge will be dehumidification.

My guess is you could prepare for minimal heat needs via a zoning package off the existing system. Then use a good dehumidification system, and most of your comfort issues would be addressed. If you plan on large occupant loads in the summer, and/or have extensive lighting, you may want some A/C.

But a complete seperate heating/cooling system for the basement seems unnecessary.

And a 3 ton for the upstairs bedrooms....I guess I'm more concerned about heating the basement without compromising heat flow on my 1st floor.

Quote Originally Posted by im4snow2000 View Post
    As part of the process of finishing the basement, I'm assuming you'll stud it then drywall to studs. I'm also assuming you'll insulate prior to drywall.

If that's the case, your heat load will be minimal imo. Also, your cooling load will be minimal....and as you noted, your biggest challenge will be dehumidification.

My guess is you could prepare for minimal heat needs via a zoning package off the existing system. Then use a good dehumidification system, and most of your comfort issues would be addressed. If you plan on large occupant loads in the summer, and/or have extensive lighting, you may want some A/C.

But a complete seperate heating/cooling system for the basement seems unnecessary.
    Yes, about the basement finishing, no large crowds or extensive lighting.Its a big space to finish, a gym, bedroom, full bath, wet bar, play area for my 3 boys all under 5 1/2 yrs old and 200 sq ft unfinished storage. and an outside entrance, So I'm trying to save where I can.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast