Thread: Trane XV95 vs. Ruud RGRM

Post Likes

Trane XV95 vs. Ruud RGRM

After the mass amount of bashing on Lennox for the price of their parts, I've decided to go with Ruud/Rheem or Trane/American Standard. I'd like a 95% efficiency, 2-stage heat, variable speed motor furnace. Given that I have a proper install of each, could any of you make a comparison of the reliability, quietness, and any other categories you can think of between the XV95 and the Ruud RGRM?

Also, what's the advantages of a modulating furnace? I have no idea what it is. Are either of these furnaces a modulating furnace?

Last, I've seen that American Standard has a Modulating furnace and a 3-stage furnace. Are there Trane versions of these? Is a 3-stage furnace any more helpful or energu efficient than a 2-stage furnace?

I've been told a variable speed motor takes up the power of an incandescent light bulb. Is this true?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkmeaner View Post
    After the mass amount of bashing on Lennox for the price of their parts, I've decided to go with Ruud/Rheem or Trane/American Standard. I'd like a 95% efficiency, 2-stage heat, variable speed motor furnace. Given that I have a proper install of each, could any of you make a comparison of the reliability, quietness, and any other categories you can think of between the XV95 and the Ruud RGRM?

Also, what's the advantages of a modulating furnace? I have no idea what it is. Are either of these furnaces a modulating furnace?

Last, I've seen that American Standard has a Modulating furnace and a 3-stage furnace. Are there Trane versions of these? Is a 3-stage furnace any more helpful or energu efficient than a 2-stage furnace?

I've been told a variable speed motor takes up the power of an incandescent light bulb. Is this true?

Trane has only recently come out with a modulating furnace. Rheem has had their's out for quite a while. Trane I believe has done away with the 3-stage and gone to modulating in the same model line.
    Many members here have a but of experience with the Rheem and can tell you how well it has performed over time.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkmeaner View Post

Also, what's the advantages of a modulating furnace? I have no idea what it is.
    A modulating furnace is one that has many stages of heat, as opposed to two or three stages - or just one (burner on or off). It puts out just enough heat to do the job-and no more-which improves its efficiency and your comfort. As far as I know, there is no hard and fast rule for how many stages there have to be to call it a modulating furnace, but some brands claim steps of as little as 1%. Rheem is 5%, I believe, and it certainly qualifies.

I would choose a Rheem. I like the company. Ruud is Rheem with a different color of paint.

Post Likes
    We sell both. The Rheem is a simpler furnace. Nice reliable 2 speed inducer, had lots of problems with A-S/Trane's variable speed inducer in the past. The new version is better but still been more trouble than the brand Rheem uses. Also I like Rheem's spark ignition better than the hot surface ignition that A-S/Trane uses.

Key is best dealer.

As Stamas said, the A-S/Trane modulator is new and requires the communicating control to work properly. Wonder if all the bugs are worked out of it?

Too bad Rheem's Mod doesn't hit 95% for the tax credit - for now!

Post Likes

Thermostat

Should I need a different themostat for a 2-stage furnace? My mom's current Lennox is about 30-40 years old.

Post Likes
    Yes, a 2 stage furnace should have a good 2 stage stat.

Post Likes

Oops...Change of heart.

I just found out that on top of the government Tax rebate, Lennox is doing their own rebate of up to $1000. I think that will save me a lot. I'd expect that will save me a lot. Like I said, I've heard the bashing on getting parts and such and repairing, but I haven't heard anything about the quality or reliability being bad.

G61V it is. I'm also getting the air cleaner and humidifier.

Post Likes
    Lennox $1000 Rebate states for qualifying systems.....(to include A/C ???)

Seattle area H.O. here still shopping for gas furnace equip, and install.........

Thanks

Post Likes
    BaldLoonie, I have been reading (alot) of the threads on this great site.

Dealer has quoted either 60K BTU, RHEEM RGRL (two stage gas, two speed blower) or the RGRM
    (2 stage gas, variable speed/ECM Motor) installed by a local RHEEM dealer. Price difference is $ on quote. I have been told retail replacement cost for ECM motor is $ (plus labor ???).

If and when I need to change motor, I have access to JOHNSTONE supply and may be able to buy/change motor myself at ???? cost.

I understand that ECM (Direct Current Motor) will give me ??? savings each month on elec bill.

I need to decide if extra $+ of install expense is justified for the RGRM over the RGRL.

How many decades before I recover the $

FYI, Contractor has quoted Honeywell Vision Pro T-stat

House is 30 year old split entry (front door entry landing that you either go up to 12 sq ft ot down to 600 sq ft [plus unheated garage]) with 10 heating registers. Cold air return is in lower hallway adjacent to furnace installed in garage.

Original furnace being replaced is PAYNE 394GAW (100,000 Input/80,000 "Bonnet Capacity ???)
    Parts man at GENSCO looked up 394GAW and claimed this was only 70% unit when new ?????

Contractor wants to pull furnace air from two car garage and not outside.

AFTER, reading about $1000 rebate from LENNOX on complete system install, Ive contacted LENNOX dealer for a requote. Would I want to go with G61V (variable) or once again save intial install money with G61MP (two speed blower).

Thanks to everyone, for my education.

Chuck Sharin
    Renton, WA
    Last edited by beenthere; 02-07-2010 at 07:24 PM. Reason: removed prices

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in