Cool

The nice thing about this site - most of you can identify with my frustrations:

This furnace was inspected once each year for the past five years, but for some reason no one pulled the EAC pre-filters (screens) - both were blocked solid, and saturated with humidifier runoff. Nothing like trying to suck air through a wet blanket!

What really frosted the cake was the 1" thick slab of sound lining that pulled off the blower cabinet, and the technician attempted to tape it back in place with strips of 3/4" electrical tape! Well, the tape let go, and now the sound lining was sucked up against the blower housing. Yep, any air making it past the "wet blanket" was just cut in half again.

P.S. It only took me 5 hours to rebuild this 22year old sucker!

Confused

Electrical tape to hold something in an airstream? That rocket scientist should maybe consider a career in furniture assembly drawing or somethin along that line. Overlooking an air-filter on any call is unthinkable and inexcusable. When the result is a blown out exchanger like the one pictured, the ramifications could be severe not to mention life threatening. That tech should be posted to "desk duty" for a while.
    If a day went by without a problem - there'ld be a problem.

Rebuild a 22 year old anything?

Wink

Hey, if the customer insists, has the money, AND the parts are still available, you bet! But you have to understand, ALL of the other functional parts are covered under a service policy............

Should this be in "The wall of shame"...or am I missing something?
    work to live not live to work

Help

When you care about your work this kind of thing makes no sense. When your making 8 it doesn't matter.
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

Resembles an early A model or B model Rheem

Tech101

I have come to find out that now days the 1st question that a service tech ask is how much money will I be making.
    I have been in this trade since 1978 and I will be untill they put me under. My head stone will read HVAC101 lol
    and the customer is boss; well most of them are. When a sevice tech. get's to the job there is a check off list and the customer MUST sing there name stating that the tech did the things that were on the list ie Air Filter Check'ed cond: Comments: and so on.

On changeout's we take before and after pic. (this helps in court)if you need it.

I have never ran an add in the papper my customers do it for me.

I have come to find out that now days the 1st question that a service tech ask is how much money will I be making.

I disagree with that statement. I have worked for HVAC companies and didn't realize how much I was being paid until I got home and my wife asked me. Don't get me wrong, I like money, but I also love working in HVAC.

Thumbs up As to cde72 reply

I am happy to see that I am not alone in loving this type of work. But in looking for employee's I have found that over 50% of them that I have check ask about the pay. 25% don't want to be on call and 20% want to be union.

So I have closed shop and have become self-employed. This way I can do more with helping the customer and I don't need to look over the employee's as they do their work.

Too bad your not in this area, sf ca. (-: