Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fieldpiece test equipment any good?

I'm a new servicetech and I have to buy all my own testing tools. I know fieldpiece makes the multimeter with the interchangeable heads, but I really haven't seen them used in the field much, and I don't know if the cost is really that much cheaper than just buying each tester by itself. Any thoughts?

I'm new as well, about 9 months in, and I bought a Fluke 322. I ride along with the mechanic, learning and helping, and we've only used my meter once and that was when the battery in his Fieldpiece went dead. If you know how to use it and take care of it I think its a good investment.

Draw back to that is that if the base goes out. All your heads are useless until you get another one.

Always have a back up of some kind. specially when it comes to a DMM.
    Nothing worse then not having a meter to check voltage, or amperage when your on a call in teh middle of the night, or a weekend.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Since you're at the beginning, so to speak, you could consider having basic meters like the Fieldpiece SC76, and then maybe getting a Fluke as backup.
    For example, I have an SC76, a Meterman multimeter(don't know the model), a Fluke 87-5, and the list could go on and on. I've killed or replaced a Fluke 30, a Meterman, a FP LT17...yada, yada, yada.
    But the take home message is not to put all your eggs in one basket. Meters get roughed up, batteries die, leads get damaged.
    This is full-contact. Just have a backup (or two or three...)

BTW, I just got a price for the CO head for a Fieldpiece, and I noticed that there is a FP component that is like a smaller meter/backup and can read all the heads. Not sure what the point is--why not just get a whole new meter?
    But if you have 140-160 to plop down every time you want some new head, then by all means...

One of my back-up meters. 23 years and going strong. I'm old school. (The image is not mine, but this is the model I have. Very reliable meter.)

Not as lean, not as mean, but I'm still a hardcore, ass-kicking, hard charging Marine! Oohrah!

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Draw back to that is that if the base goes out. All your heads are useless until you get another one.

Always have a back up of some kind. specially when it comes to a DMM.
    Nothing worse then not having a meter to check voltage, or amperage when your on a call in teh middle of the night, or a weekend.
    Funny you should mention that. It just happened to me last Friday. Got a new Fluke last night.

I've had em all from Fieldpiece to Fluke to UEI.

I have the Fluke in my bag now and it the best meter I have ever owned.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

ONE OF MY FAVORITE "ATTACK" METERS IS A FIELDPIECE SC76. I TAKE IT ON ROOFS ETC.
    ITS FAIRLY RUGGED AND SIMPLE BY TODAY'S STANDARDS, AND READS MICRO AMPS, TEMPERATURE AND CAPACITANCE. I DON'T LIKE THOSE DETACHABLE HEAD DEALS. THE SC76 IS A GOOD VALUE FOR THE MONEY, BUT YOU CAN NEVER GO WRONG WITH A FLUKE. ALSO THE BUILT IN NON CONTACT VOLTAGE SENSOR IS A NICE FEATURE I HAVE NOT SEEN ON OTHER METERS

All caps is considered 'screaming' online... please moderate your voice...

Fieldpiece SC76 and 77 are great meters... If it were me, I would not do the interchangable heads... rather get specific devices for each need. IMO no company makes all the best devices for all applications.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chesapeake View Post
    One of my back-up meters. 23 years and going strong. I'm old school. (The image is not mine, but this is the model I have. Very reliable meter.)

you are showing your age now. i have 2 of these & one triplett.
    would put their accuracy up against any of the didi meters anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    All caps is considered 'screaming' online... please moderate your voice...

Fieldpiece SC76 and 77 are great meters... If it were me, I would not do the interchangable heads... rather get specific devices for each need. IMO no company makes all the best devices for all applications.
    Thanks for the reply, caps lock now off. That was my first post. I think I'll be spending more time on this site. Like it alot.

Mini Clamp Meter for HVAC/R - SC44, This is the first fieldpiece meter i have ownd am still using it i like it.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by marvin View Post
    you are showing your age now. i have 2 of these & one triplett.
    would put their accuracy up against any of the didi meters anytime.

We used this model in the Navy, I think, back in the 70's! Haven't seen one in decades!

I got an ExTech meter from Graingers in April '09. A few months ago, one of the temperature inputs quit working, took it back to Graingers, replaced it no questions asked! If it will hold up, ( I am keeping it in it's bag this go around!) it has some great features, all in one package (two K type thermocouple jacks, capacitor, non-contact voltage) The next model up even has an IR thermometer, but. . . .
    G T T

“In the end we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends”

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast