Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Life expectancy of split system???????

Hope someone can help me here! I have to sell a customer on the fact that their hvac system is at or approacing "THE END". The bean counters are not so concerned with the technical aspects of their broken down and inefficent old system, but more concerned with how long the average system lasts. Does anyone know where there is some "PUBLISHED LITERATURE" concerning the life expectancy of hvac equipment. This paticular equipment is a 30 year old Carrier split system (20 ton). Economizers' are disconnected, compressor unloaders don't work, Acid in oil, etc. This equip. is ready to go. They don't want to put the money in it to polish it up, and don't want to spend the money to replace it.

Ten - twenty years average lifespan depending on installed environment, and if properly maintained and allowing for repair/replacement of components.

Allow for half the replacement cost every ten years for maintenance as a guide for maintenance of the system.
    Martyn

50 & 60 hz but 100's worse

Search google with "ashrae equipment life expectancy chart" to get what you need.
    UA LU 562

HAHAHAHA you want a manufacturer to actually put in writing how long their equipment is designed to last.

How about the fact that, a scheduled replacement can generally be negotiated at a lower cost and with less inconvenience than the emergency replacement of a failed unit.

It depends on so so much, what make model were the coils coated? Water cooled? Air cooled? Chiller AHU? Where in the country it is installed what application And one of the most important things of all, was the unit installed correctly by a good contractor who knew what he was doing.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishvacman View Post
    HAHAHAHA you want a manufacturer to actually put in writing how long their equipment is designed to last.

How about the fact that, a scheduled replacement can generally be negotiated at a lower cost and with less inconvenience than the emergency replacement of a failed unit.

It depends on so so much, what make model were the coils coated? Water cooled? Air cooled? Chiller AHU? Where in the country it is installed what application And one of the most important things of all, was the unit installed correctly by a good contractor who knew what he was doing.

More good advice.
    Martyn

50 & 60 hz but 100's worse

there is a site that the government has and it states equipment that is air cooled is designed for 10-15 depends on environment and maintenance. The big thing now is with efficiencies/technology is changing at such a fast pace plus manufactures jack the price up on parts after they cancel that model.

I was an "expert witness" last year in a lawsuit directly related to this. The ASHRAE guideline chart that folks are referring to was published in the70's. There has been no updated study done since then. ASHRAE has begun conducting a new survey (based on voluntary info they get from engineers) but it's not populated with enough data to be of a lot of use yet.

I think the old chart has air to air commercial splits down as 15 years?

They've gotten twice the useful life out of it.

TEV Marstaire formally IMI based in England will rate their splits for about 10 years. The coils are maid from alluminium and dipped in a chromite solution that ages the alluminium 10 years and causes it to harden and resistant to most environments.

Used to put quite a few of their splits in many years ago and only ever had to change pots and air handler fans, with the odd fan speed switch and contactor.

How long is a piece of string?

Quote Originally Posted by w8tn4rtmnt View Post
    Hope someone can help me here! I have to sell a customer on the fact that their hvac system is at or approacing "THE END". The bean counters are not so concerned with the technical aspects of their broken down and inefficent old system, but more concerned with how long the average system lasts. Does anyone know where there is some "PUBLISHED LITERATURE" concerning the life expectancy of hvac equipment. This paticular equipment is a 30 year old Carrier split system (20 ton). Economizers' are disconnected, compressor unloaders don't work, Acid in oil, etc. This equip. is ready to go. They don't want to put the money in it to polish it up, and don't want to spend the money to replace it.
    Mini Splits big in Bermuda.The Triangle eats them alive. You will get what you pay for in terms of quality, dont be fooled with some having a plastic case. Its whats inside that counts. I see the "inexpensive" ones rust out in 2-4 years, 10-15 on "expensive" ones. P. M. goes a long way with any touch up rust sopts on cabinet.

So I took a 30 year Lennox unit compared to the base line Lennox 20ton unit offered, today. It's 60% more efficient. So what is there energy usage? A working economizer is just icing on the cake?

Talk money to bean counters......not life expectancy.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishvacman View Post

I never said I wanted manufactureer published literature. Their equipment NEVER fails. Trust me, I realize all of the benefits of an equipment upgrade, otherwise I wouldn't be trying to sell them new equipment. I've explained all of the bennies of new equipment and risks of keeping the old. The bean counters just want to make sure they have gotten the most out of their old equipment. They are asking for this information to assure themselves that the old equipment has reached the end of it's service life. To me it's obvious, to them, not so much. I'd already checked the ASHRAE site and database without much success. Looking for some other links or sites.

Are any parts obsoleted? Have the factory send you a quote on a new evaporator, which probably has to be custom made and would takes six weeks and would cost the same as a new air handler. That may convince them.
    Steamfitters Local 602

Quote Originally Posted by Pneuma View Post
    Are any parts obsoleted? Have the factory send you a quote on a new evaporator, which probably has to be custom made and would takes six weeks and would cost the same as a new air handler. That may convince them.
    That's an interesting approach and a great idea! I've been hammering on the expense of a compressor failing but a condensor or an evap may be a better way to drive this issue home! Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast