Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carrier Techs

Do any of you Carrier tech's still get on call compensation? We did until a couple of months ago and they took it all away. They said we did not have to be on call. But if we wanted to take care of the customers we would take the call any way. I wonder what other branches are doing? It seams like management only cares about their bonuses short term. In the past 20 years my branch has been through 15 managers.

thats a sh$t sandwich So you are not "on call" but you are responsible for your customers

I'd say turn the phone and or pgr off see you on monday if you all as a group do it exactly what could they do?
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Yep, but we never used too ( that was a long time ago ).
    Me going fishing and a plant going down for two days, fixed that.
    Only problem is, now I have to be available, but I'am compensated ( union agreement ) for being on call.
    I had them upgrade pager service to accomodate areas I might be in, while on call.
    Basically, I stated, I was'nt about to sit on the couch waiting for the phone to ring.

[Edited by r718 on 03-12-2006 at 08:20 PM]

the last stunt i heard was Carrier paying guys in hours just to be on it say 8 hrs x your rate.then one year a tech did 10 hours over time on calls that weekend.then they tried to combine his standbuy $$$ and the total for the 10 hours OT.the union got involved and it never happened again.leave all your stuff in the van and let them(office not the customer)get you on a house phone only.then go about your weeknight/weekends the customer will see the lack of coverage especially if you do commercial retail.
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px5YcOeQB4I

The company I work for doesnt pay at all for being on call. We are on call one week 24/7, every three weeks.
    If any customer calls we drop what were doing and take care of it. No compensation at all for giving up my life for a week. I sit in the house all weekend in my uniform just awaiting.
    But the reason we do this is for fast service. We don't have a choice. Well I guess we do, look for another job if the on call is not right for you. I figure a couple more years of this on call crap and I'm done. Time for a design job. LOL

I used to work for Carrier Commercial Service and got the heck out of there because the corporation doesn't care about the service tech or the customer. The other problem is that Carrier is covered by a national agreement signed with the UA so the rules reguarding this and other issues are very fuzzy and unclear at the local level. Basically there are two union agreements at the local level and nobody knows how to interpret them and which one to follow. Some of the national agreements are honered and some of the local agreements are honored. Good luck with the corporation.

Its funny how the logo on my shirt may be different, but that may be the only thing!

We still get on-call pay. I have heard some rumors from mechanics in another branch that they might try to do something about our on-call pay.

If I didn't get on call pay my phone would go off at 4:30 Friday and go back on at 8:00 AM Monday morning, simple as that.

we get paid for being on call (union agreement)1hr reg time mon thru fri 2hr reg time sat & sun +any call out time

We are on call 1 week every 4 months right now . I get 2 hours OT pay for being on call.

Well I just found out that our office is trying to cut the amount of hours we get for taking on-call. I was told that one of our supervisors said that Carrier Corporation is not doing as well as they like. This is supossed to be a temporary thing (yeah right). He told my co-worker that this is happening in all branches. He said that some branches are losing money and pretty much we all have to suffer. I am curious what is going on in other branches of Carrier Corporation. Please let me know.

We have the same agreement as chillerout1. I thought it was a agreement that the office could not go back on. I thought it had allready been negotiated and it was a done deal. All I know is that Carrier is pissing off alot of their mechanics. Not that they care.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast