Thread: RE: Conduit?

Not in the verde valley, Arizona. I see this type of wiring all over. It should be a crime. The small black wire goes to the master cool unit. Scary stuff. I need to go back and take a photo of the new carrier 48GP we put on the roof.

What do you think?
    http://ww2.imagewiz.net/images/hvac/39734_P1010116.jpg

Talking Been There, Done That!

My mums boat had all sorts of English-quality wiring on it. It was so good and so well installed that we got to replace all primary and secondary circuits. That is unless we wanted to experience an electrical fire firsthand.

At least there is a possibility of a breaker on that wire. Chances are also that the wire won't move much. Now imagine a series of 18AWG wires attached directly to a 400Ah battery bank WITH NO BREAKER OR FUSE, installed loosly in a maritime environment. Talk about chafe city.

Naturally, they didn't use tinned wiring or sealed lugs. 300+ hours later, I had replaced everything that was an immeadiate fire hazard. The only OEM circuits remaining are the tertiary ones, i.e. low-power stuff like lighting within a room where I didn't want to rip out all the paneling just to replace a few wires. 18AWG is good enough for 5A over short distances.

Yup, when folks talk to me about the inherent safety of british electrical standards, I just laugh. If you'd like to see some of the saga, go to the Prout section on my web-site. It's all spelled out in gruesome detail with amusing photos such as this one. That's 6 wires going in on one side, 2 on the other. A all-too-typical negative return.

That hack really gets around! I've seen the same thing here in the midwest many times.

Verde Valley. As in Cottonwood, Camp Verde and CORNVILLE????

LOL. Yeah, there's some inbred thinking out there too. I used to live in Cottonwood for a few years.

Why certainly! Camp verde! I see jobs like this all over this area. I am surprized not more homes burn down because of it. I have never seen so many code violations until I moved here. I guess it is job security for my future.