Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help me decide: Trane XR15 or XL20i

Hello,
    I need to decide soon on two new systems: one 3 ton and one four ton. Home is in Miami, FL with approximately 3,900 sq ft under air. I definitely want to go with variable speed air handlers in order to have more humidity control. I was all set to go with the XL20i but then an estimator from a reputable company down here suggested that I save some money and go with the XR15 instead. According to the charts I really wouldn't save that much more money on my electric bill by going with the 20i. My real concern is with humidity control. The guy who suggested the XR15 says that the variable speed air handler is what is going to make the real difference with humidity control. But an estimator from another reputable company told me that I will have much better humidity control if I go with 20i. How much difference is it really going to make between the systems? The price on the XR15 is considerably lower but if I need the 20i for proper humidity control I would be willing to spend the extra money.

Option 1
    Four ton System Model # Condenser 4TTR5048E1000A, Air Handler 4TEE3C09A1000A
    Three ton System Model # Condenser 4TTR5036A1000A, Air Handler 4TEE3C03A1000A

Option 2
    Four ton System Model # Condenser 4TTZ0048A1000A, Air Handler 4TEE3C06A1000A
    Three ton System Model # Condenser 4TTZ0036A1000A, Air Handler 4TEE3C04A1000A

If money is no object, go the 20i. If money is an object, go the 15 and have a Vision Pro IAQ with dehumidify on demand hooked up. Then take the fortune you saved and replace windows or add insulation!

A properly sized system will get u good humidication. I would go with the 15i and save money and get a dehumidifier. Make sue u have the company do a load calc.

If you can swing the 20i's. Go with them.

It runs at 50% capacity in first stage, so should get you better humidity control with less over cooling to do it.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by tmb5107 View Post
    Hello,
    I need to decide soon on two new systems: one 3 ton and one four ton. Home is in Miami, FL with approximately 3,900 sq ft under air. I definitely want to go with variable speed air handlers in order to have more humidity control. I was all set to go with the XL20i but then an estimator from a reputable company down here suggested that I save some money and go with the XR15 instead. According to the charts I really wouldn't save that much more money on my electric bill by going with the 20i. My real concern is with humidity control. The guy who suggested the XR15 says that the variable speed air handler is what is going to make the real difference with humidity control. But an estimator from another reputable company told me that I will have much better humidity control if I go with 20i. How much difference is it really going to make between the systems? The price on the XR15 is considerably lower but if I need the 20i for proper humidity control I would be willing to spend the extra money.

Option 1
    Four ton System Model # Condenser 4TTR5048E1000A, Air Handler 4TEE3C09A1000A
    Three ton System Model # Condenser 4TTR5036A1000A, Air Handler 4TEE3C03A1000A

Option 2
    Four ton System Model # Condenser 4TTZ0048A1000A, Air Handler 4TEE3C06A1000A
    Three ton System Model # Condenser 4TTZ0036A1000A, Air Handler 4TEE3C04A1000A
    Since you line in Miami, then go with 20i.
    Since you are very concern with humidity as you live in Miami, then go with 20i.

Make sure the system's thermostat has the dehumidification control. I don't want to go into detail to explain if you are not familiar with the term. Ask the contractor to. If he cannot, then ask his technical advisor to explain. If the whole company cannot, then let him go.

But I am sure the 20i complete system has it all

Good luck

Aren't all the new 20i's communicating systems?

meaning they use the IAQ that is specially made for them, and has the blower slow down for humidity control.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Aren't all the new 20i's communicating systems?

meaning they use the IAQ that is specially made for them, and has the blower slow down for humidity control.
    Yep. they even tell you if they are properly charged

Quote Originally Posted by JJDH View Post
    Yep. they even tell you if they are properly charged
    I heard in 2012.
    they will even tell you if they are installed right. ROF
    Contractor locator map

That would be greaaaaaatttttt.. Think if it installed itself...

Quote Originally Posted by JJDH View Post
    That would be greaaaaaatttttt.. Think if it installed itself...
    then i'll be out of a job.. *sigh*

Talking 15 or 20 series

tmb,
    You might want to contact "Airmechanical", he is a long time member on this forum and works the Miami area. ibis1

20i if you can afford it! You can make the installer use Charge Assist to ensure units are charged correctly regardless of OD air.

How about one 15i and one 20i ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast