+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rheem RRGG HX failures

Post Likes

Rheem RRGG HX failures

I know this is not really WOS, but thoughy I might as well post pic's of a very common HX failure I am running into.

About three years ago brought on a new customer with twenty two of these Rheem RRGG RTUs. Over the last three years I have replaced almost all except five. They all fail the same and when they fail they fail BIG.
    This is the most recent unit pulled earlier this week.

Already yanked HX but the rust is a dead give away of issues...

Close up of venting side all rusted out.....

8" crack - this is found right where the Fan/Limit Probe extends in to exchanger box. About half the units I have pulled had the exact type of failure.

All the units I have pulled had the following failure.....

Posting the replacement of this unit with a new Lennox KGA RTU in the WOP forum.

Post Likes
    Typical of any gas pack with the heat exchanger in the cold air. We've never lost a Rheem tubular heat exchanger on a gas furnace, 80 or 90, but had to replace one in a gas pack a few years ago. I think York is one of the rare brands who put the HX before the coil. Or if people aren't too cheap, get a model with a SS exchanger.

Post Likes
    What I find intriguing is that this customer has a mix of RRGG and RRGF units. All installed the same time maybe a year apart at most as each building of this business complex was erected. I rarely have issues with the RRGF exchangers, it is ALL the RRGG units?
    Like I said not saying this is a WOS situation, but maybe you could help me understand the difference between a RRGG and a RRGF heat exchanger. Both model types look exactly the same, same components, same style exchanger, just one seems to crap out and rust all to hell where the RRGF is hanging in there just fine.
    I would love to have more failures with the RRGF units....more sales

Post Likes
    These look to be virtually identical to the RUUD rooftop thread I started a few weeks ago here. Stupid design to begin with. How are you supposed to check operation or trouble shoot the heater, with that forced draft blower that becomes useless when you take the cover off?
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Post Likes
    Parts list for RRGF says "heat cell coated" and for RRGG says "heat cell" with different part number. Could be the newer model left off the coating for cost reasons and that is causing more failures. Customers want low price not long life.

Post Likes
    Thanks Baldie, makes a bit more sense, wonder what type of coating. Must be on the interior of the exchanger since the RRGG is rusting from the inside out.

As for working on the heat package of these old Rheem units, I will admit that if you have the burner compartment panel off and you are doing some troubleshooting, keep your face away....you will get one hell of a roll-out. Much like the Rudd unit John Markl was talking about in his thread.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by slctech View Post
    As for working on the heat package of these old Rheem units, I will admit that if you have the burner compartment panel off and you are doing some troubleshooting, keep your face away....you will get one hell of a roll-out. Much like the Rudd unit John Markl was talking about in his thread.
    You too, eh ?
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Post Likes
    New parts are available, . . . . I've made a KILLING changing out these HE. Customers are happy because they did not have to foot the bill of an entire new package unit, and I am happy because I made serious dough.
    If you don't understand "why to" it does not matter if you know "how to"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by slctech View Post

We seldom work on a RTU or packaged unit but our rookie just happened on a URGF today. And about lost his beard to rollout!

Post Likes

Thanks for the laugh Baldie!! Glad to see that John and I are not the only singed hair guys out there!

Post Likes
    Im in California and every time I come in contact with this particular brand of unit I always look for cracks in the HX. I find cracked heat exchanger more common in these units. I know exactly where to look.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    These look to be virtually identical to the RUUD rooftop thread I started a few weeks ago here. Stupid design to begin with. How are you supposed to check operation or trouble shoot the heater, with that forced draft blower that becomes useless when you take the cover off?
    Yeah, I never cared for these earlier units. That combustion setup was a joke.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Typical of any gas pack with the heat exchanger in the cold air. We've never lost a Rheem tubular heat exchanger on a gas furnace, 80 or 90, but had to replace one in a gas pack a few years ago. I think York is one of the rare brands who put the HX before the coil. Or if people aren't too cheap, get a model with a SS exchanger.
    These old rheem units had the heat HX before the coil also.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Smaller Lennox GCS16's also have the HX before the evap coil.
    We're awl pawthetic and kweepy and can't get giwrls. That's why we fight wobots.

Post Likes
    Hello all,

Interested in knowing where replacement heat exchanger (part number as well), can be purchased for the following gas pack model;
    RHEEM RRGG – 07E24JKR , gas package? Possible stainless steel replacement if at all possible.

Thank you in advance for any assistance regarding where to obtain replacement part.

Post Likes
    You do realize this is not a DIY site? It was in the rules when you signed up.
    We're awl pawthetic and kweepy and can't get giwrls. That's why we fight wobots.

Post Likes
    Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in