My Humidifer Never Seems To Keep Up

My Humidifer Never Seems To Keep Up

Got called to an old lowboy for a no heat. Whilst fixing it I noticed this gem of a humidifier install:

better view:

It was cranked all the way up, too. He also mentioned something about a mold problem in the basement...
    Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.

What's that old relic of a furnace?

We installed a hum without a bypass once. The difference was we put it on the return and it was in a closet with louvered door. Hot water. Customer said it worked fine.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    What's that old relic of a furnace?

We installed a hum without a bypass once. The difference was we put it on the return and it was in a closet with louvered door. Hot water. Customer said it worked fine.
    Why didnt you just use a powered humidifier. You are saying it had NO air intake, did you just plug off the opening. Customer said it worked fine, huh.

I have seen humidifiers return mounted with no bypass pipe before (happens a lot in Cleveland, lot of houses with open returns or gravity drops). This one, however, was supply mounted.

The furnace is a Cleveland Dornbac, made right here in Ohio.
    Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.

Sell 'em a True Steam. That 440 is junk.
    Not as lean, not as mean, but I'm still a hardcore, ass-kicking, hard charging Marine! Oohrah!

I bet the basement was warm and wet!
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

rip them both out and let them RIP.
    If you can not do it right, Why even do it at all?

here in the midwest I still see a lot of lowboys and thought that looked like the supply plennumIf it was done right then the supply water line would have clogged up after a year or two or the solenoid would have quit but since it was a very very bad install it has probably worked perfect for many many years!!! and I do mean mechanically perfect and not operational perfect!
    do it right the first time!

What do you mean you were looking at the humid WHILE YOU WERE FIXING THE FURNACE!!

That whole system is ready for the scrap yard - do your customer a favor and put the repair cost towards a new hi efficency unit!!