Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I've got the wrong job

It's just a failed belt. The shame is that neither of the TWO FULL TIME ac techs that the school district employes were able to figure out this was the problem.

We do all the install and change out work for the local school district. About 4 campuses and a district office building. We don't do any of the maintenance though because they have two full time guys that do nothing but the HVAC. I'm not sure how they keep themselves busy, but changing belts is apparently not one of the ways.

I'm sure that they both make more then me and that their union has secured them a nice benefits package compleat with a fat pension that our community can't afford.

Sorry didn't mean to go political, but you should have seen these guys. It was obvious that the one was an idiot , but the other knew his stuff and just didn't care enough to even look

They knew enough to get a cake job...

The older of the two seemed to know what he was doing. Maybe even more then me. I just couldn't get him to show any interest in what might be going on with the unit. He didn't act emmbarrest at all when I showed him the belt. Just gave me look like, "yeah, that's one reason they stop working." I tried to leave them with an extra belt, but they said they have a ton of each size back in their work shop. It was hard not to say something smart @$$ish.

Where exactly is this school district?
    JUST A LITTLE CLOSER AND THE LITTER BOX IS ALL MINE!

It's in the north San Francisco Bay Area.

I see you work for a district down in Florida. I'd be very interested to here your thoughts. Am I being unfair to these two? Or do you feel a failed belt should have been handled in house?

He work for the city not just the school . Two guys to take care all the schools police dept and fire dept. there also town hall . The senior center. It seem like a great job but a lot building to cover .

That's what happens when people take their job for granted, They are not smart enough to know, however, that nothing in life goes unrewarded. Theirs is just waiting for the right moment for payback.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

Oh Sonoma is where I lived during elementary school.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

deleted
    Last edited by ECtofix; 08-05-2014 at 10:33 PM.

"You never know what others don't know." -

If I can't laugh at myself...then I'll laugh at YOU! -

I work at a small state tech school.The pay is no way good.The benefits (at least here) are very good. I currently took a job here so I could hopefully transfer to HVAC or general maintenance.Still at that the take home pay is be no better than the private sector likely worse. That being said if I was the on site Tech and had to call someone in I would be totally embarrassed if the problem was only a belt.A 1st year PM apprentice should be able to check and replace a worn belt.If I was the supervisor and received the fix for that repair I think I would have a meeting with those guys. I bet the charge for that repair was at least 2X or more the hourly rate of those "in house" techs.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you . That same guy might be the guy who pays your bill .

We usually just do install for them. The manager in charge overall who we normally work with is a very knowledgable man. He typically designs the systems we install. I didn't see him at this call, and I don't know if he oversees these two or not.

I delete a prior post as it probably was too revealing of where I work. However, since it's similar to who you dealt with, I’ll still add this…

I left fourteen years of field service work behind me for an in-house position. Two years later now and I’m STILL not over the culture shock of that move. My work ethics are SO different than those of my present co-workers. THEY are the opposites to the great bunch of technicians I'd worked with in field service work.

These guys know the rules, do j-u-s-t what’s expected of them…and manage to stay under the radar. For that, they know they still get paid. No ambitions to apply themselves further by demonstrating initiative, or to be thorough to a fault, or to further their knowledge and skill sets, or to utilize all resources available, or to demonstrate any obligations beyond being the original warm body that shows up for work every day. Oh...and the less they see the supervisor, the happier they are by doing even less.

I won’t offer any further elaboration, although I’m depriving everyone of a few good laughs. The other guys are the way they are. I can't change that, so all I can do is to be different than them and set an example.

It’s all hilarious, but pi$$e$ me off (that they get away with it) at the same time. I JUST don’t get their nonchalance and I can’t be like them. I’m on the clock for eight hours. My employer is going to EIGHT good, credible, thorough and forthright hours of my know-how, sweat…and sometimes a little blood… before I call it a good work day. If the answer isn't immediately in front of me, then I'm intent on finding one before I clock out for the day.

That’s me…and I guess I’m the exception there...and I’ll never change.

"You never know what others don't know." -

If I can't laugh at myself...then I'll laugh at YOU! -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast