Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: copeland

Hybrid View

Confused

have a 2 door freezer, Hussman, UML 51 BF
    copeland compressor, KAL2 0150 CAB
    called in unit not freezing product anymore, found low side in vaccum, turned it off, leak tested and found leak at the terminal block, recover refrig, remove compressor, took out terminal kit and replaced them, vaccum pump, recharge 62 oz, unit still in vacuum, head pressure of 145.
    amp draw of 3.8, name plate says 6.1 fla, 44 lra
    any thoughts
    thanks
    hem

Sounds like you have a restriction in your system....eric
    If you cant find the time to do it right the first time, then you wont find the time the second time around....

thanks for the comment
    but a restriction would drive the head pressure up?
    I blocked the condenser and still didn't send head pressure up,
    I did put on a new drier, this is a txv system
    and I added more refrigerant, while doing this the amp draw went up to 7, but then came right back down, and pressures went back to what was already mentioned
    and I should have mentioned that this is R502
    was and still is

hem

Your defently restricted, check your txv, powerhead, something is not allowing you to feed refrigerant thru it, therfore lowering your amp drawl becouse you are not picking up any load. I would guess either you have foreign matter in your valve itself, or your powerhead has become weak not allowing pressure to be applied to your pushrod/s inside the txv. If you have a restriction it is just like pumping the system down, your head pressure will go down due to less load on system, no load=less amps=no/little heat extraction....eric
    If you cant find the time to do it right the first time, then you wont find the time the second time around....

You have a bad txv, bad power element. When ya take the old one out, try to blow through it. If ya can't, you found the problem.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

sounds like a moisture at txv icing up the orfice you did say it was in a vacum when you arrived? low side leak? sucking in ambient air?is the txv frosted up?where does it start on valve if so?will the valve feed by warming up the bulb for powerhead on txv?

Question. What side of system is the terminal block on? It could be possible the system was pulling in air if it is on the low side. This would cause the txv to freeze up would it not?

Terminal block lowside. Txv may have been original problem. Hem did you weigh the refrigerant you pulled out? That always helps me.

I assume you are using R502
    depending on your conditons, your amp draw can be anywhere from 4.0 to 6.0 (you can get an amp draw curve from your local Copeland wholesaler)
    example :110 Condensing -10 suction - amps are 7.4
    you are probaly under amping
    the main cause of terminal seals leaking is slugging
    that should give you a clue

Dice and Bowman, have it, replace the powerhead, I would presume the compressor is cycling on the l/p control. I have not yet seen a txv fail, just the power head..Oh, great this is going to bite me in the @ss....

Originally posted by oly
    Dice and Bowman, have it, replace the powerhead, I would presume the compressor is cycling on the l/p control. I have not yet seen a txv fail, just the power head..Oh, great this is going to bite me in the @ss....
    There are no bad TXVs, just bad elements and mistaken technicians.

This doesn't apply in only a few instances, such as TXVs that have permanent power elements.

check your inlet screen.

If there is foreign matter there, treat as a contaminated system.

Only seen this occur once in a 502 system. It had overheated severly and some black power appeared inside, plugging everything up REALLY REALLY BADLY!!!

How did you seal the leak at the compressor terminals?
    I have a secret fix for those.

If you send me your secret decoder ring, for me to make my own copy of, I will send you my seceret for repairing the leak at copeland compressor electrical terminals.

And NO, it does NOT involve the use of Ductape!

is there a crankcase valve?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast