We have a 20 year old, 2-story, 2000 square foot (finished) house with a ~1000 square foot currently unfinished basement. Right now I have an electric heatpump that is old, grossly under-sized, and produces HUGE electric bills. We are getting ready to pull the trigger on a WaterFurnace Envision Dual Compressor unit to replace the existing equipment. We will also be getting a complete duct overall since the current stuff is really screwed up. I have a couple questions that I am looking for suggestions/comments/advice:
1. One contractor is recommending a 3-ton Dual Compressor unit with a 4 ton loop (vertical closed). Another is recommending a 4-ton Dual Compressorunit with a 4 ton loop (vertical closed). Seems like a big difference in equipment and was wondering if the extra cost to operate a 4 ton unit is worth it. What is a good loop operating temperature?
2. Bypass humidifer (AprilAire 600), steam humidifier, or other? I would like appropriate comfort to reduce dry skin, etc. but don't want a huge extra monthly electric cost. Also, depending on the type, what is the best placement for it (supply vs. return).
3. Get the standard 2" MERV-11 disposable filters that come with the WaterFurnace or upgrade to a HEPA-like filter for better filteration, but a higher cost?
4. We currently have a new 80-gallon electric water heater, is another tank or anything necessary to ensure enough hot water.
5. Two zones are currently proposed: 1 for the 2nd floor and 1 for the 1st floor and basement (to be finished). Is this okay or should the basement be on a separate zone? Is it worth the extra thermostat and ducting cost if dampers can be used?
6. 4 vertical wells are currently proposed in a box layout, 10-12 feet from garage and 10-12 feet between holes in order to avoid surrounding trees. I believe that the depth of the holes are to be 150' each. Is there enough distance between the holes?
I think that's it for now. I'll update or reply with any additional questions.
Thanks for the help!