Thread: "we ran it until...."

Post Likes

"we ran it until...."

unit last serviced in 1998.

Carrier gas furnace

Post Likes
    What am I looking at?

Post Likes
    Looks like a blower shaft,were they freakin deaf!!!! If they weren't,they are now.....LMAO
    Anything worth doing,is worth doing RIGHT the FIRST time around!!!

Post Likes
    never have understood how the shaft and bearing get that bad.............

and customer claim to have not heard it until recently.............MBFA
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    You dont see that much anymore. Most new crap breaks before it ever gets that bad.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Post Likes
    You caught it early. Did a Carrier RTU recently, a twin squirrel cage blower. Outside bearing seized, shaft ground away, bearing bracket broke, flailing parts destroyed everything in the blower compartment. The customer saved money by canceling the mid summer PM, where someone would have seen the problem before it got that bad.

Post Likes
    Was that out of a residential furnace? Didn't think any of them where around anymore.
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

Post Likes
    correct on the blower wheel shaft.

yes, out of a residential unit.

Post Likes
    Do you remember the model number?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Milk man View Post
    Do you remember the model number?
    58GA-100-A-1
    Last edited by pacnw; 01-29-2010 at 09:28 PM.

Post Likes
    I think i'll show these pictures to my customers that don't want to pay for annual maintenance.

Post Likes
    58GA. Those where the days. It was out of date even before I started doing this stuff. I've rebuilt a few of those blowers. I remember a bearing kit. It was in an orange tool box and at one time fully stocked with bearings, shafts, locking collars, and other stuff needed to do it in the field. I'd just bring it back to the shop to use the work bench.

My boss bought out a vendor's supply of bearings and shafts once. I couldn't believe he did that. No one wanted to repair those furnaces and they should have been replaced when the blower went bad.

We started replacing worn out furnaces once we learned to water test heat exchangers.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurch77 View Post
    You caught it early. Did a Carrier RTU recently, a twin squirrel cage blower. Outside bearing seized, shaft ground away, bearing bracket broke, flailing parts destroyed everything in the blower compartment. The customer saved money by canceling the mid summer PM, where someone would have seen the problem before it got that bad.
    Had the same thing happen to me (same model of unit it sounds also)..with a few exceptions. We did do a quarterly PM, but the manager kept saying no don't repair it now, lets wait till next time. I made sure to document what he said and i saw. After the failure he wanted to see the damage, sighed and gave us the go ahead for a new unit. It already had a bad second stage compressor that he did not want to fix.

Post Likes
    Too funny, I sold a customer a Thermopride Oil Furnace in 1998 that was belt drive. He is on his 5th set of shaft & bearings, why?

Because he is a mechanic at a Ford Dealership, he absolutely insists that he do his own maintenance.

He tightens the frigging belt up like it's an alternator, I can't get him to see the light.

Oh yea, he has also fried a motor too!

Post Likes
    Ha had one just like it this week always have wondered how the noise didn't catch the attention of the customer to think hey something might not be right here before it could progress to is point.

Post Likes
    did you try some oil first?
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in