Looking to get going

Good afternoon,

Graduated from BOCES HVAC-R program Dec.08. I have my Universal Certification. Due to wife's serious health issues was delayed in finding work. Have been actively replying and going to businesses now since Sept. I've had one interview in all that time-didn't even get a call back to say whether I'd gotten the job(it was a school district).

I had previously been in the ready mix concrete industry. After a hostile take over by one of the company's family members-I left that business after 21 years as a dispatcher/quality control. So I have a solid work history behind me. I am looking for suggestions how to even get started as a helper. I am willing to do anything it takes. I am unable to relocate, so I have to stay within the Hudson Valley area. What would make me pop more to a potential employer to even get them to talk to me after I fill out the application or give them my resume. Is it a hindrance that I only had one job? I have many different skills that apply to HVAC.

I know this whole area is tanking for jobs. I've even tried to get back into dispatching-no luck.

Suggest away!
    BD

Well, got a interview finally yesterday. The man who interviewed me told me he's gotten out 2 days of ads-186 applications. It went well, but man that's a lot of people trying to one job.

Still looking for advice on how to break into the HVAC field-this is getting very frustrating not being able to get a job as a helper. I am not on unemployment and what I had in my retirement is about to run out-then we have nothing. I really need to get to work soon.

Quote Originally Posted by CRETEJR View Post
    Well, got a interview finally yesterday. The man who interviewed me told me he's gotten out 2 days of ads-186 applications. It went well, but man that's a lot of people trying to one job.

Still looking for advice on how to break into the HVAC field-this is getting very frustrating not being able to get a job as a helper. I am not on unemployment and what I had in my retirement is about to run out-then we have nothing. I really need to get to work soon.
    I am in the same boat, I have a job doing HVAC work and electrical, at my facility but it is just not a good future there, any ideas that could help us out guys... THANKS...

Still waiting to hear from a couple of interviews. I am willing to start at the bottom as a helper. No one seems to be hiring them in our area at all. It's not easy our there at all. The school I went to hasn't been contacted by anyone since last winter to place anyone. Not a good sign.

I understand and wish you well. I started as a helper in a engine room in an office building as maint helper . It took me a while too so I joined the USAF to get initial training and experience.

Quote Originally Posted by tombeaux View Post
    I understand and wish you well. I started as a helper in a engine room in an office building as maint helper . It took me a while too so I joined the USAF to get initial training and experience.
    Already did my time in the military-24 years ago. Starting over in your mid 40's for a new career isn't easy and this economy sure isn't helping things on the job end.

This is just me. I know its been done though. Not sure how old you are Crete. Im 49, got started in hvac in the mid 80's. I wouldn't dream of starting hvac field work at 40 yrs old. Its freaking hard on the body. There's been countless times my wife would work on my back for 2 hrs at night so I could be mobile, get up and do it again the next day.
    Really, good luck to you what ever you decide and come up with.
    "The Bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

new to the board

Quote Originally Posted by frank shelley View Post
    This is just me. I know its been done though. Not sure how old you are Crete. Im 49, got started in hvac in the mid 80's. I wouldn't dream of starting hvac field work at 40 yrs old. Its freaking hard on the body. There's been countless times my wife would work on my back for 2 hrs at night so I could be mobile, get up and do it again the next day.
    Really, good luck to you what ever you decide and come up with.
    ive been doing this since im 12 i turned 50 last year, its been a struggle every year, you are either dealing with no work ,guys who bounce your checks,guys who dont want to pay you what your worth its a friggin horror show and now here i am again looking for work, they want to start you at 12.00 an hour and want you to install 2 to 3 units a day the problem in this industry is the workers never got together to form an hvac union, we are getting screwed because we fall under pipefitters,sheet metal workers and such that fine when you are working commercial work but guys who do res work get it shoved every way but sunday and they have no out,ive worked all my life and cant find a decent gig here in chicago and will probably lose my house soon if something dont happen soon, dont want to bum you guys out but fact are fact have a good one im out

cretejr... maybe an idea would be to go to a local distributor if there are any and ask them if they know of any guys looking for work or maybe they are looking for a warehouse man. always a good place to try. also try your local hardware stores ie. home depot/menards/ lowes or ace or whatever you have. good luck guys

Quote Originally Posted by CRETEJR View Post
    Good afternoon,

Graduated from BOCES HVAC-R program Dec.08. I have my Universal Certification. Due to wife's serious health issues was delayed in finding work. Have been actively replying and going to businesses now since Sept. I've had one interview in all that time-didn't even get a call back to say whether I'd gotten the job(it was a school district).

I had previously been in the ready mix concrete industry. After a hostile take over by one of the company's family members-I left that business after 21 years as a dispatcher/quality control. So I have a solid work history behind me. I am looking for suggestions how to even get started as a helper. I am willing to do anything it takes. I am unable to relocate, so I have to stay within the Hudson Valley area. What would make me pop more to a potential employer to even get them to talk to me after I fill out the application or give them my resume. Is it a hindrance that I only had one job? I have many different skills that apply to HVAC.

I know this whole area is tanking for jobs. I've even tried to get back into dispatching-no luck.

Suggest away!
    BD
    Being out in these service trucks can be brutal and thankless. Right now the compensation is inadequate for the knowledge and credentials needed. You might like a good supply house or parts counter job since it sounds like you have some clerical skills too. The benefits would probably be better also since most of the merit shops have crummy retirement and health benefits.