Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Likes

Interest in Unionizing for Controls Techs Nationally

I don't have much knowledge about how this would be done but I find that generally on any of these construction projects that I work on I would say that 90-95% of all workers are a member of a union and are making far better wages than us control guys(myself for close to 10 years now). I find it troubling that for such a specialized trade as it is that we don't either fall in with the mechanical/electrical union at the very least or have a separate Union of our own. I don't feel that it's greedy of me to feel like I should be compensated at a rate at least what the mechanical/electrical guys make for wages working on these projects especially considering that every single job my company bids are at Union rates. I would like to hear others opinions on the topic of unionization of the controls industry. Any and all thoughts are welcome but I would prefer to hear from other Automation/Controls techs.

Post Likes
    Why the hell would I pay someone to look out for me and tell me what I can and cannot do? It's my pay check, and I find no one is more motivated to make sure it is what it should be than myself. Travel outside of local boundaries, welcome to the union circle jerk. No thanks.

Not getting paid enough, find something else.
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

3. Likes jrevans, msdmaint, ClarkBP liked this post
    Post Likes
    Ditto, your abilities should dictate your pay. If I have to depend on a union for this then
    you are in trouble.

5. Likes ClarkBP liked this post
    Post Likes
    I have to agree to the above statements. The last time I contacted a union when doing mechanical service I laughed as it would have been a pay cut. I could have negotiated wages but then why do I need them when that's what I have been doing for the last 28 years on my own and doing quite well.

Post Likes
    Being in the Union is worthless. Tons of Liberal propaganda get sent sent to your door that you pay for monthly. And you want a raise?!!? Guess what, you still have to go to the boss. Everyone here worth a damm is over scale.

Post Likes
    From my experience I agree with the above statements, but I have not been in a union ever, but worked with them on multiple jobs. I've had too many experiences where I think the union rules are ridiculous and allow for the union employee to do bare minimums and never get fired. What's allowed to go on and people will look the other way because their union or can't do anything about it because of all the politics then it's not for me. Also it seems it doesn't matter if your the best guy/gal or the worst guy/gal, your pay too often depends on how long you've been Union.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    My 5 yr old son "Dad, Siri is not very smart when there's no internet."

Post Likes
    No Flipping way! Why take a pay cut and lose benefits.
    Beware of the prophet trying to make a profit.

There is less oxygen from knee level to the floor! Check it out next time you tie your boots.

Post Likes
    Here we go again....

11. Likes Mike19 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Sorry to call you guys out but some ignorant statements above.

Rules are designed to help you have a life outside of work.
    1- over 8 hours is ot
    2- anything outside your normal work hours is overtime, period. Changing shifts requires the employee to be on the new shift for two week min. or it's all overtime pay.
    3- eight hours off between shifts or the second shift is all overtime.
    4- union pay scale is a minimum required by the union. The employer can pay you over scale.

Let's talk about dues. Paying the union to represent me.. Let's see what they get me.
    - Employer funded national pension
    - Employer funded local pension
    - employer funded 401k
    - Heath care for entire family employer funded
    - dental coverage for entire family employer funded
    - vision coverage for entire faming employer funded.

Notice everything is employer funded. No deductions out of my check for any of this. Gladly pay my small monthly dues.

I respect the non Union side. I started off there. Never going back.

13. Likes buttwheat, intellitech, thehvaclady liked this post
    Post Likes
    I welcome all JCI, Siemens, Trane, Honeywell, ALC (UTC), & Schneider Building Automation Techs into the UA!
    Honestly, over all the Locals I've worked through, there's only been an average of 1 independent Automation dealer being signatory.

Post Likes
    I wanted to chime in here. I spent 11 years as a non-union service tech/ controls guy. The last non-union company I worked at before joining the union treated me great. I had the best medical, good wage, training it really was a good place to work. I joined the union 10 years ago for one reason to do more controls. The place I work at is one of 5 union contractors in the area that let's union employees program. After I left the non-union company I had worked at. During the down turn of the market in our area.They came in one day, and dropped wages, and cut benefits in a major way. Those guys have never gained those losses back. Like many of us I'm sure, I have several friends in the trade one of mine is the automation manager at Siemens. I know what they pay for all levels of control guys. I have a fairly good idea what the pay is for both sides in our market. The average wage would be considerably higher for the union tech IMHO!! All that being said, I strongly believe anybody in this country has a right to work were they want, for who they want. The non-union bashing by the union guys just plain irritates me!! I was involved with some techs who left the company I spoke about earlier to join the union. Several of them personal friends. I just gave them my experience and let them make their own choice. I guess what I'm saying my move to the union has been great for my family, and career.

16. Likes Mike19 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by smsmechanical View Post
    Rules are designed to help you have a life outside of work.
    Designed to keep you under their thumb maybe.

Hall watching all the permits filed and cracking down on members pulling permits for side work?

Have your own company setup for subcontract side work, how they fell about that?

Traveling outside the local? How many hands are sticking out now?

I'll work when I want, and do what I want, thank you very much.

Let's talk about dues. Paying the union to represent me.. Let's see what they get me.

Notice everything is employer funded. No deductions out of my check for any of this. Gladly pay my small monthly dues.
    I use a secret weapon called the calculator. I want X per year, my portion of all these benies is Y, looks like I need to make X+Y to get what I want. End the end, the employer pays it all and I don't need to pay someone to run a calculator for me.

I respect the non Union side. I started off there. Never going back.
    Glad it works for you. I have enough BS to deal with every day and don't need another layer of crap. Botherhood of one and keeping it that way.
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

Post Likes
    I belong to the NONUNIONIZED UNION OF CONTROL WORKERS , it has a membership of 1 and ensures that I get top wages , profit sharing , all the benefits I want / need, tools paid for.

If I am on a union site I abide by the basic rules / regulations of the majority union and have never had a problem in 40+ years

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast