3 yrs experiance, doubled my pay

A year ago my boss that gave me a chance in this trade couldn't really stay open. I'm a rookie. Went to work for him (2yrs total there), read a lot (here and company sites), asked a lot of questions, used the phone a lot, bought a lot of tools and worked hard. Then he kinda folded up.

Got hired as a service tech, I have doubled my pay by going into a piece work/performance pay situation. Done very well, cust love me, my employers love me, I have sold a lot of equipment in a year (all resi) and at 3 years experiance I am making good money. About twice what hourly guys in this area make......

But I wonder. Is all this resi work going to mean anything as I become a more qualified and seasoned tech. Right now I have a company that will hire me tomorrow based on my work in the town I live, but their top guys are making a lot less at 20+ yrs experiance and long term employment. This is a owner operator been going strong for 50+ yrs in my town. Refrigeration, generators, residential and commercial. So much room to learn new things. (ps-my old owner sold to him, and works there, wants me back)

I presently am employed by a huge company with many shops nationwide. I really like it. The problem is, at 43 I see that i am segmenting myself only working residential and working that quick piece work service, lots of advertising live for today kind of mentality. Money is great, my wife loves it, I work a ton of hours and am rewarded. As a rookie I feel very fortunate to be making near union $ and know that there are a lot of guys out there that would love to have my problems. I am not ungrateful, just trying to figure out the future LOL!!!

the only way to answer that is .................go talk to them, see what they offer
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

usually when they see what you make they either smile or frown. you be the judge.
    I STARTED WITH NOTHING, AND I STILL HAVE MOST OF IT!

Sems like the only downside is that you are a one-trick pony, when you need to make a change (like when a Meteor takes out the shop - It could happen!) you will likely not be able to duplicate your success elsewhere.

I had a similar experience to yours. I now hold a bunch of NATE certs to help make the post meteor scenario a little easier to face.

I would reccomend that you find a way to plan for the worst case while you make your millions.
    Hmmmm....smells like numbatwo to me.

Ha!! Millions, right! I agree with expanding my horizons, I am going to crack that nate book I bought. I need to get my journeymans and probably tighten my belt and go work for the other co. If I don't learn new things, I'll never know what I am missing.

There is a good thread on how to study for NATE here:
    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=157508
    Start with Post #34

When you get your Millions - maybe you will throw me a bone!?!?

Hmmmm....smells like numbatwo to me.