Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Water boiler burner resetting?

Any particular reason why my Bock oil water heater with a Carlin burner suddenly needs constant resetting? It seems after every other session it heats water the light goes on and it won't fire up again until I hit the reset button.

Bought the house in April, haven't had a problem yet.

Gotta love those reset buttons.................BOOM

Ya better get it serviced............and stop pushing that button.......or......................

you may get a big...............
    BOOM

Hows your fire insurance.................

Your having trouble now.

It probably wasn't serviced recently, and needs a good clean and tune.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Your having trouble now.

It probably wasn't serviced recently, and needs a good clean and tune.
    I like how you are so Nice and Helpful to everyone.....bt.......seriously......

My response was just trying to drive home a point....with a little humor,........I'd hate to read about the ho's...........blowing up his home and family..............

Get it serviced ch................

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    I like how you are so Nice and Helpful to everyone.....bt.......seriously......

My response was just trying to drive home a point....with a little humor,........I'd hate to read about the ho's...........blowing up his home and family..............

Get it serviced ch................
    Every so often, I fire off a not so nice response.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Every so often, I fire off a not so nice response.
    Speaking as a homeowner not especially knowledgeable in things HVAC, I think a response along the lines of,

"Oil burners such as your Carlin model are not static, inanimate, objects. They burn heating oil at high temperatures and are prone to various problems which intensify over time. Like your automobile engine, they require regular maintenance to keep them operating efficiently and safely. In this case, your burner sounds as if it is badly in need of cleaning and tuning, likely needs a new nozzle, and - unless recently changed - your system almost certainly needs a new oil filter as well. It is most definitey time to call in a qualified technician; continuously pushing the reset button is not only unsafe but not going to make the problem go away and will more than likely make it worse."

would have been a great deal more helpful.

My response in post #3, is more then sufficent.
    Contractor locator map

Oil hot water heaters like any oil fired appliance need YEARLY service. Pushing the button more than once is a big NO NO! Not only do you run the BOOM! risk, if the service tech is like me or my company, if you have the appliance loaded up or impacted with soot from constantly reseting the control, IT WILL COST YOU MORE. It's not gonna fix itself so save yourself some money and maybe grief and call today.....549-HEAT! (yeah, that's my real number, no area code though. Kinda neat 549-COOL was taken by the local landfill )
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Quote Originally Posted by homeowner12345 View Post
    Speaking as a homeowner not especially knowledgeable in things HVAC, I think a response along the lines of,

"Oil burners such as your Carlin model are not static, inanimate, objects. They burn heating oil at high temperatures and are prone to various problems which intensify over time. Like your automobile engine, they require regular maintenance to keep them operating efficiently and safely. In this case, your burner sounds as if it is badly in need of cleaning and tuning, likely needs a new nozzle, and - unless recently changed - your system almost certainly needs a new oil filter as well. It is most definitey time to call in a qualified technician; continuously pushing the reset button is not only unsafe but not going to make the problem go away and will more than likely make it worse."

would have been a great deal more helpful.
    You sound like a engineer.....................I like bt's response better.....and heatermans is good also

Yeah bt I've seen you fire off a couple a good ones

Mine are like.........You'll shoot your eye out

Oil burners such as your Carlin model are not static, inanimate, objects. They burn heating oil at high temperatures and are prone to various problems which intensify over time. Like your automobile engine, they require regular maintenance to keep them operating efficiently and safely. In this case, your burner sounds as if it is badly in need of cleaning and tuning, likely needs a new nozzle, and - unless recently changed - your system almost certainly needs a new oil filter as well. It is most definitey time to call in a qualified technician; continuously pushing the reset button is not only unsafe but not going to make the problem go away and will more than likely make it worse.

I just thought of that.

just call a service company out

Quote Originally Posted by larobj63 View Post
    Oil burners such as your Carlin model are not static, inanimate, objects. They burn heating oil at high temperatures and are prone to various problems which intensify over time. Like your automobile engine, they require regular maintenance to keep them operating efficiently and safely. In this case, your burner sounds as if it is badly in need of cleaning and tuning, likely needs a new nozzle, and - unless recently changed - your system almost certainly needs a new oil filter as well. It is most definitey time to call in a qualified technician; continuously pushing the reset button is not only unsafe but not going to make the problem go away and will more than likely make it worse.

I just thought of that.

Very good! I like it!

My point was and is: people come here looking for help. Many of them clearly have no real idea how hvac equipment works and therefore no idea whether the problem they are having is the result of some simple fluke or a more serious issue. You guys who like to call yourselves hvac "professionals" ought to consider taking the time to act in a professional manner and offer real, helpful, guidance within the parameters of the "No D-I-Y" rule instead of simple one-liners (or, even worse, talk about things going !boom!) that just leave the homeowner frustrated and feeling like he is being snickered at behind his back.

Quote Originally Posted by homeowner12345 View Post
    Very good! I like it!

My point was and is: people come here looking for help. Many of them clearly have no real idea how hvac equipment works and therefore no idea whether the problem they are having is the result of some simple fluke or a more serious issue. You guys who like to call yourselves hvac "professionals" ought to consider taking the time to act in a professional manner and offer real, helpful, guidance within the parameters of the "No D-I-Y" rule instead of simple one-liners (or, even worse, talk about things going !boom!) that just leave the homeowner frustrated and feeling like he is being snickered at behind his back.
    It's all good. Responses get short because questions like the OP's are common, and the pro's in here get tired of feeling like a broken record explaining the level of detail you did every time, I suspect. Heck, I'm a newbie compared to beenthere and many others - who - trust me - have typed out thousands of useful posts and can be as darn well brief as they want to be from time to time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast