Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: leaky evap coil

leaky evap coil

has anyone ever submerged a coil in water to look for leak. i removed the coil from plenum, filled with 320 pounds nitrogen. 2 days later had 300 pounds. then submerged in water and 2 days later have small air bubble pop up about onnce every 1 to 2 minutes. dont know if its a tiny leak or what, any suggestions would be helpfull, been in the business 21 years and never tried this.

Probably the best way to visually see a leak works for the guy that fixes my flats.
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

Quote Originally Posted by workhc View Post
    has anyone ever submerged a coil in water to look for leak. i removed the coil from plenum, filled with 320 pounds nitrogen. 2 days later had 300 pounds. then submerged in water and 2 days later have small air bubble pop up about onnce every 1 to 2 minutes. dont know if its a tiny leak or what, any suggestions would be helpfull, been in the business 21 years and never tried this.
    Damn, that's a tiny leak. Interesting method for leak detection too. Seems like it should work pretty well.

Too often, air will get trapped in between the fins and "bubble up" over time. The past few years we have had a lot of success using the yellow dye.

Quote Originally Posted by airredlands View Post
    Too often, air will get trapped in between the fins and "bubble up" over time. The past few years we have had a lot of success using the yellow dye.
    now been 3 days and small bubble keeps popping up in nsame location

I have checked for leaks in coils for years by doing this just last summer found a leak in acoil by putting it in my swimming pool. You are right about the bubbles but after three days if the bubble keeps comming from the same location then it is a leak.

Quote Originally Posted by mike robinson View Post
    I have checked for leaks in coils for years by doing this just last summer found a leak in acoil by putting it in my swimming pool. You are right about the bubbles but after three days if the bubble keeps comming from the same location then it is a leak.
    thought so, have searched entire system replacing shraders, no oil on condenser coil, valve caps tight,solder joints good. in your opinion filling coil with 320 pounds and have it drop 20 pounds in 2 days is too much, but was not sure about 1 bubble every minute or two. thanks for info, much appreciated

I love Spectroline's Dye kit for leaks like these. You can find ALL small leaks in a system quickly and accurately and also the dye is always in there helping you with any future leaks.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by workhc View Post
    have done that a few times. Insert a small flat blat blade screw driver next to where the bubble come out, wiggle it a little, if in fact there is a leak, you will see large bubble.
    Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H.L. Hunt

"In order that people may be happy in their work, these three things are needed: They must be fit for it. They must not do too much of it. And they must have a sense of success in it." John uskin

I have heard that some maufacturers dont want the dye used with the r410a???

Quote Originally Posted by JJDH View Post
    I have heard that some maufacturers dont want the dye used with the r410a???

The dye I use is approved for POE oil

Quote Originally Posted by amasuperbike View Post
    I love Spectroline's Dye kit for leaks like these. You can find ALL small leaks in a system quickly and accurately and also the dye is always in there helping you with any future leaks.
    do you need a special light to see the dye

Yes, The light, glasses, injection hose, handle and 2 cartridges of the universal/POE dye comes in a nice kit. Well worth the investment. Much easier than dunking them in the pool!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast