Do i really need a bypass humidifer

Do i really need a bypass humidifer

Do I really need a bypass humidifier. I have been reading some good advice here and read that a tight house should not need any extra humidification from a bypass or steam humidifier.

My home renovation is just about done so Thought I would take some readings. before everything is finished. What is not done. The R30 is not even installed yet on the ceilings. Some wall insulation on the first level is not yet installed. I did some major improvement to my home outside and inside and roof. Ceiling Insulation and rock get installed next week. Windows are already installed. New heating system and ducts are done and installed.

The HVAC contractor said I should not need a humidifier. So, just need a 2nd opinion. He did a J-Report also.

the house is about 2,400 sqft.

My Humidity levels taken with my Alnor 8585. I did adjust the barometric pressure before taking the readings. Best reading I could get with the 8585. I bought this from a estate sale this last summer for ten bucks . I did have it recalibrated again. Thought it might come in handy some day.

Outside readings: 36 deg, 21.6 Humidity. taken from outside weather station.

Average readings taken from the Ducts. taken with the Alnor 8585

Inside first level 69 deg, 36.7 humidity.

Improved basement. 71 deg, 37.9 humidity

When taking these readings. there is no rock in installed in the house yet, so there is no mud creating any humidity. no tile is set yet, so no tile mud creating any humidity either. These are the readings before any rock is installed most of the insulation has been done except for the ceiling upstairs and downstairs and a couple of walls that need insulation. This seems like it's going to be a tight house, maybe a little to tight ?

You guys think air changes with a heat recovery device may be needed instead? I ask ,because this was a little out of my budget when I was given the estimate by the Hvac contractor. I’m wondering If I should call him back on this and bite the bullet on the budget for this before any more insulation get installed, and hold off on the rock.
    Last edited by stevenjr; 01-24-2010 at 03:39 AM. Reason: spelling

Wait and see. Buy a hygrometer from the hardware store and keep an eye on it.
    Typical comfort levels are between 30% and 50% RH, 50% may be too much during the colder weather. Humidifiers are easily added later. As for tightness have a blower door test to determine how "tight" the house is and how much additional ventilation is needed.

I like HRV's and believe balanced ventilation is the best but exhaust only ventilation with a properly sized bath fan can be used. This is from a heating climate perspective. Also if it is a renovation the HRV can be ducted separately.

R30 ceiling must be in a mild climate.