Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Heat Pump Squeal

I live in the North-East and have a 1993 Trane XE 1000 (TWR036C100A1) heat pump that randomly squeals loud enough to wake me up at night (sounds like a slipping belt in your car).

Any thoughts on what is causing this noise?

I realize the unit is getting toward End Of Life, but would like to resolve this short-term issue before tackling a purchase of a new one

Thanks

Chris

Need a bit more detailed information , Is the noise the outdoor section or the indoor section , Indoor it's more likely a bearing in your air handler, out section more likely the defrost cycle or related- remember in the 90's was " Can't stop a Trane "
    "Rock-n-Roll " Ain't noise pollution..

Its the outdoor fan motor. Had several of these do this and a good tech can oil the motor and it should be fine.

Outdoor Heat pump is making the noise

In reference to the "oil the motor comment", aren't the fan motors sealed? If not, is there an oil port where I can apply some oil

Thanks for the quick responses

Chris

Even if the motor is sealed I have been able to oil them....its tricky but it can be done. Just try to get some in the shaft end. Thats as much as I can tell you w/o the site deleting the post. I just cant guarantee that a service company wouldnt rather tell you they cant oil it and install a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by amasuperbike View Post
    Even if the motor is sealed I have been able to oil them....its tricky but it can be done. Just try to get some in the shaft end. Thats as much as I can tell you w/o the site deleting the post. I just cant guarantee that a service company wouldnt rather tell you they cant oil it and install a replacement.
    I'm pretty sure that you cannot add oil to sealed bearings. More than likely you added oil to the internal windings of the motor. The oil will break down the coated windings and eventually fail.

I disagree and thats ok. You can get some oil in there. And it quietens them up. Ive done this to several units this season without a single callback (i did replace the motor on one unit because it was still under warranty...but the customer said it hadnt made a single noise in the week it took to get the warrantied one). Plus the OP's unit may not be sealed.

Don't post links like that.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Don't post links like that.
    maya culpa, got in the Twillie mode
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

I don't think it is your motor, motors ussually don't squeal from dry bearings then run fine. If a motor has dry bearings and starts making noise it will ussaully continue. I think if you watch it closely you will find that it happens at the end of the defrost cycle. The pressures get to high and the internal releif opens and you get a high pitched whistle or squeal from the pressures trying to equalizing inside the compressor. The defrost board will time out and the unit will shift back into heating whch equalizes the presssure, closing the internal relief stopping the noise, then it will run quietly till the next defrost. You will need a tech to verify the exact problem but you can verify that it is a defrost related by listening for the unit to shift into defrost, there is generally a loud swooshing noise both when it shift into and out of defrost.
    good luck.

With sealed or shielded bearings, which tend to be in the small- to mid-size range, the risks associated with bearing relubrication outweigh the potential benefits. The bearings are inexpensive and often the more financially prudent decision is to run them to failure.
    http://www.machinerylubrication.com/...ng-lubrication

Quote Originally Posted by kls-ccc View Post
    I don't think it is your motor, motors ussually don't squeal from dry bearings then run fine. .
    Hmm willing to put money on that?

Was the unit serviced recently. Including last summer or spring.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast