Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

what brand water source heat pump?

Currently have a water source heat pump with Trane logo on it. not sure if it was manufactured by them or not.

initially it was noisy. had something put on compressor to muffle the noise. drain pan is not tilted ..so it at times gets clogged etc. 1.5 ton unit. approx 10 years old. . would like something better that is quieter and with no mold/musty smell. and not spend way too much.

I live in high-rise condo in Orlando Florida

model # GEVA01511B0110TRD000000100000000000

I recently received a quote for a First Co. unit. Hydrotech water source heat pump. price seemed decent.

I then met another person who does AC work and he commented that First Co. AC units are not all that great. He had experiences with some other type units that were installed in ceiling ...not sure if they were water source heat pumps. he said i might do better with Florida Heat Pump unit.

Then talked to another guy in AC biz and also commented that First Co. was not all that good and neither was Florida Heat Pump. I told him I also looked at a Carrier unit, but he told me they do not manufacture them and that they are probably rebadge..

Then I got another quote from another company and he recommended getting the same exact Trane unit at nearly double the price of the Hydrotech...I am so confused now.. lol

sorry for the long explanation...

basically need advice on whether or not to go with the First Co. Hydrotech or Florida Heat Pump? or whatever...just need quiet unit that is reliable and with no mold smell or buildup..

Your comments and opinions will be greatly appreciated!

Well scott I dont live in florida but anything having to do with water has the potential for that moldy smell....from old water. not being circulated. My opinion go with Hydrotech...Trane is a very expensive brand but generally you get your moneys worth and then some...It all depends on what your willing to spend. Hope this helps

Scott,
    First co does not have anything special to offer in my opinion. Having had experience with their ceiling units(taking one out tomorrow) there does not seem to be anything innovative to produce a better product. Fhp has given us too many problems that are clearly related to cutting corners, I can go on in detail. Our local carrier doesn't even sell them anymore, but I believe they used climatemaster which seems to be a pretty good unit to me because they use tin plated evaporator coils. although I have no experience with them. I would not put anything in florida without a tin plated coil at least

i have actually worked on those trane heat pumps. trane is generally good equipment but they were hard to work on due to very little space. the rotary compressors are noisy in those units.

I have had very good luck out of the Carrier/Climatemaster brands. I agree with the comment on tin plating too.

If you want a quality unit that is quiet and reliable, buy Water Furnace or ClimateMaster

If you have a problem with excess humidity you might want to look into some kind of Reheat dehumidification mode option.

I like ClimateMaster's reheat option better because it is not your typical complicated hot gas reheat arrangement and tends to be more reliable.

We pick Hydro-Tech.

I sell a lot of water source heatpumps in Southeast Florida. I have tried many of the brands available to our company. Their are two reason we sell a piece of equipment: The quality/ reliability of the machine and the customer support/ parts availabile. I am selling and very happy with the Hydro-tech products. We only had one problem with over 60+ units installed not bad. Customer support is always on time. They have people to talk to when you need them. No noise complaints!!!
    They have great add ons: Away switch and humidity control.

The only problem is the warranty. Only 5 years compressor and 1 year eveything else but all the other manufacturers have the same warranty.

In my opinion you are better off going with the a Hydro-tech with the upgraded cupronickel condenser coil.

If we can help give me call.

www.prideac.com

Howard, Hi you might want to check out other brands I bought 2 Waterfurnaces in 2009. I got a full 10 year parts and labor allowance from waterfurnace the installer gave me any labor over what Waterfurnace would not pay. Anything that happens in the first 10 years is his problem. I had to pay more than the price of some other installers. but I chose a dealer that I knew I could trust. He said after 10 years I could buy a yearly program but it is not cheap. Don't know if I will do it are not. Curtis

Thank you, I will check this out. I wonder to what extent they will cover the equipment. The condenser coils can take a lot of abuse pending the quality of the environment. Some of the systems we work on take the water from lakes and through wells?

Don't buy WHALEN! Reversing Valves stick all the time.

My Hydrotech x13 blower failed and I am having a terrible time finding an installer or supplier with the motor. First company will ship the motor but the price is exorbitant along with the delivery time. does anyone know how to program the motor or is it programmed automatically by the heat pumps controller board?

I have lots of experience with fixing and working on, and fixing again, and working on again....the florida heat pump brand. I work for our local hospital, and we've switched to the climatemaster brand. There's no comparison in the quality of the 2. FHP cuts corners, and climatemaster doesn't.

I've worked with Trane, Addison, WaterFurnace, Climatemaster, FHP, GeoFurnace, and EarthLinked. For a water-source brand, I like the climatemaster the best. I'd stay far away from FHP, though FHP has supposedly increased their QC with BOSCH taking them over. The hospital has around 200 FHP units, and I can't recommend them at all.

Good luck!

Just to keep the terminology straight.... a water source heat pump is hooked up to a boiler chiller loop, there is no ground loop. A ground source or geothermal heat pump is hooked up to a ground loop.
    Dewayne Dean

www.palacegeothermal.com

See my live system data here:

We Heat and Cool with Dirt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast