Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need an apprentice job in Seattle.

Looking for an apprentice job near seattle and everett. i am willing to do anything to get my foot in the door. Any suggestions? i already have my resume posted an numerous sites, now I wanna here from the pros.

Click on the link and look under veterans.

http://www.ua.org/

Seattle,Wa UA Local 699

http://www.ualocal699.org/main.htm

Email me your resume

I am from Seattle region to but currently live in Vancouver BC. I also have considered entering the HVAC business. Caddy, how many company have you applied to? Do you know what a apprentice and journeyman make per hour? How long does it take to become a journeyman?

Quote Originally Posted by lortech View Post
    I am from Seattle region to but currently live in Vancouver BC. I also have considered entering the HVAC business. Caddy, how many company have you applied to? Do you know what a apprentice and journeyman make per hour? How long does it take to become a journeyman?
    If you get into the apprenticeship it takes about 6 years to turn out. Go down to the union hall that serves the area you want to work and get a wage sheet.
    I STARTED WITH NOTHING, AND I STILL HAVE MOST OF IT!

Quote Originally Posted by NWMech View Post
    Email me your resume
    I sent you my resume & cover letter

I have applied to about 8 companies. from what i am hearing starting wage is about
    15-20 an hour. I dont know how long it takes to become a journeyman, i think its five years. I am trying to stay out of the union so yeah dont know much about it.

apprentice and journeyman are union terms. If your non union you can be a journeyman in about 6 months.

The terms apprentice and journeyman are also used in well structured merit based shops. If anyone is called a journeyman after 6 months in a truck then it's not a union shop or a well structured merit shop, it's a hack shop.

The terms apprentice and journeyman are also used in well structured merit based shops. If anyone is called a journeyman after 6 months in a truck then it's not a union shop or a well structured merit shop, it's a hack shop.

Well said, I second that.

I am not going to argue. How long does it take in a well structured merit shop?

Quote Originally Posted by allstar08 View Post
    I am not going to argue. How long does it take in a well structured merit shop?
    I'd say that's a good question, I'd like to hear from others on it. My personal opinion is that the most unions offer a great training program. Merit shops have training too, but not always on the classroom side. If someone goes to a merit shop and expects to be successful they better have invested in a good trade school program and be ready to continue studying after they start their job. When I say good trade school there are many in the state I live in, but honestly only 1 or 2 stand out amongst the others. With that being said an ambitious individual who goes to a good school and works hard may be considered a journeyman in their shop after 3 to 5 years. On the other hand there can be tech's who've been in the field for 20 years and are less qualified...

I'd say that's a good question, I'd like to hear from others on it. My personal opinion is that the most unions offer a great training program. Merit shops have training too, but not always on the classroom side. If someone goes to a merit shop and expects to be successful they better have invested in a good trade school program and be ready to continue studying after they start their job. When I say good trade school there are many in the state I live in, but honestly only 1 or 2 stand out amongst the others. With that being said an ambitious individual who goes to a good school and works hard may be considered a journeyman in their shop after 3 to 5 years. On the other hand there can be tech's who've been in the field for 20 years and are less qualified...

You may be considered a journeyman but if you were to ever get on with a union company, I'm not sure but I believe that you would still have to start out as an apprentice, no matter how many years you put in. But I guess all would not be wasted. Without that experience, you probably wouldn't have gotten the union job in the first place. It would just suck to have to start out at the bottom.

On a side note, I have noticed a lot of jobs in the St.louis area that advertised for journeyman techs. They want you to have 5 years experience and a journeyman's license but they only want to pay you 14 dollars an hour and you have to drive your own vehicle from job to job. I'm guessing that these are the hack shops that were referred to in an earlier post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast