Metasys Remote Access

Hello, we are an ALC dealer "service department" who has just taken over mechanical and controls maintenance on a Metasys building. The fac manager told me that the installing contractor had remoted in to the NAE system several times after the install, but did not know how he did so. In 5 hours spent staring at his DDC system, I was able to see the JCI router that has an internal modem, and I was able to find the phone number used to dial in. I had my office guy call it with a dial up connection and it would answer, but we found no way to actually get in. On a related side note, the OWS laptop was indeed plugged via ethernet into a hub, where the router was also plugged in, but there was no apparent "network" connectivity between them. I could see the DDC system from the laptop, but it's network connection said "limited or no connectivity". I assigned a static ip to the laptop that was on the same subnet as the router (there was a nice sticker affixed to the front of it with the ip address....lucky me) and restored network connectivity, but we still could not punch through the modem onto the OWS computer. After trying everything that i could think of, I just unplugged the phone line from the modem/router, and plugged it into the internal modem on the laptop, and set up an incoming connection, and boom...good to go. My question is, how was it set up previously? Does that internal modem have a hard coded UN and PW to get in? Is it in the router itself? It couldn't have anything to do with the computer, because there was no network connectivity (although strangely enough i could operate the Metasys from the computer and access all the controllers. It just doesn't make sense to me. What am I missing? For now I have remote access, but it is connecting on our end at 12.0 kbs on a 56k modem.......which is godawful (took 20 hours to download the java application).

Anyone?

There is software use for remote access dial in that needs to be on the remote computer called apropriately Metasys Remote Access. It is usually installed for a customer during commisioning, or can be installed for a fee after. There is a quite bit of setup involved, most customers would not be able to do it themselves.

I was thinking

that there was no way that anyone could have been accessing it in the state I found it. I looked for any and all applications saying JCI or Metasys on the computer and found absolutely nothing at all. I suppose it is possible that he installed all of it under the administrative account, and somehow hid it from the end user, but I think I still could've found it. Very interesting.

OK, understand the program (MRA) would be on the REMOTE computer, not the headend, but on, say, a laptop, if he was using dialup. Otherwise, it can be accessed via the DSL/router if port 80 is exposed on the router, or through a vpn. Also, remote desktop can be used. But you have a closed LAN I believe? No WAN (external internet) access? No "network" access and limited connectivity doesnt mean you cant connect using static IP or even DHCP on a closed system, it usually means there is no device assigning IP addresses. You say "the JCI router that has an internal modem" hmm JCI router... usually the NAE has the internal modem if it is to be accessed remotely via phone, if the router has a phoneline, it might not be JCI, it might be a DSL router, and maybe the service is no longer used? I am not familiar with a JCI router, either with or without a modem. And then you say "we still could not punch through the modem onto the OWS computer", so you are trying to connect to the OWS, not the NAE? If you want to remote access to the EMS system, you usually dont connect to the OWS unless you are using remote desktop. I just want to be clear, it might just be the terminology you are using. If you want to send me some pics, I bet I can figure this out for you, althought that doesnt mean you will be able to connect remotely. You need either external internet access, or an NAE with a modem and MRA, or you need to set up remote desktop to the OWS, and access the system that way. PCanywhere will also work, and this keeps you from having to download the Java, as does remote desktop. MRA downloads the jar files 1st time, stores them then is very quick afterwards, and you can avoid the 1st DL if you are able to directconnect the 1st time (if you have a laptop for example)

The NAE likely supplies all the data for either the OWS or your remote laptop. Remote Access Software is not required, it just makes the process faster.

Go to JCI public document site & search for LIT-1201639 that should be enough to get you going on dial in to the NAE (if that's what was previously done).

I stand corrected

IMPORTANT: The download process can take up to 1.5 hours. Use the Metasys Remote Access utility to reduce the time required for downloading. Refer to the Metasys System Extended Architecture Remote Access Installation Instructions (LIT-1201691) for more information. Remote Access automatically manages different versions of the Java Archive (JAR) files stored in individual cache folders on the client computer. Managing these JAR files allows for faster launching of the Metasys system extended architecture engines/servers directly from the application. Remote Access is faster than using a Web browser because, when you use a Web browser, the client computer needs to download the JAR files one time for each engine/server. Web browsers do not support the management and sharing of JAR files. Remote Access shares (copies) the files among multiple engines/servers, and downloads only new files or files that have been updated since the last installation or download.
    I stand corrected, Dreamcar is correct, you do not need the MRA, I guess since it is available to JCI it is the way I learned and I thought it was needed. It is really for multiple NAE sites/connections where you have diff javas. But as I said, if you are using a laptop that you can take to the site and connect through ethernet for the 1st DL, it will get the files and make additional connections faster. And make sure you already have the correct java version so it doesnt try to load it through the NAE. Sorry for the mis-information, good catch DreamCar. And from what Manometer said, I bet he has the external modem for the NAE that plugs into the serial port.

Terminology

I assumed that the NAE was an N2 router.......which is why I called it the router. The NAE is what the phone line was plugged in to. No matter what we tried remotely, we could not get past the NAE (I had all passwords for the MEtasys system.......nothing worked.) So I unplugged the phone line from the NAE and plugged it into the modem jack on the laptop, and set up an incoming connection. It works, but is godawful slow. I will talk the customer into getting internet hooked up to the computer. I was just curious how anyone could have connected to it before I got there, because there didn't appear to be any network connectivity from the NIC card in the laptop and the NAE (although as I said earlier.......the java app was working). I am very very familiar with several other types of DDC programs (Automated Logic, Andover, Alerton) but this was the first time I got my hands on a MEtasys system........and am just trying to process what I am finding.

Thanks For All Your Help 8-)

Don

We have about 15 sites that they hope to have converted from the NC350 to the NAE. We have three sites up and running now. even the Johnson techs were haveing trouble getting into them at first, and took a couple of months to get the dial up bugs out. The first problem was that our computers had to current a version of Java? So after that mess, its going good. I can get on the net at home and dial strait into the buildings. And its alot faster then it was dialing up metasys. The City has all the buildings networked together anyway, so it works out well. Pluss we are online with a wireless mesh system throughout the City. So I can pull over into a parking lot and dial in. Then leave it running and watch it real time while in route to the building. Cool stuff.

Redfive

Its def getting better, I use a wireless card and can access most of our customers sites while on the road and save tons of time. And the new stuff you can get on your blackberry or I-phone, althought I havent set that up anywhere yet.

Speaking of the NAE, does anyone know how to modify the background image of a graphic that resides on an NAE? I cant find a .svg or .jpg on the NAE.

You need SCT if you dont have the original image, and it still doesnt always work exactly right. You can open a graphic in SCT and go to edit mode, there is a selection at the top menu to save graphic. It will save as an SVGZ, then you can open with visio. There will be some conversion, and the graphic doesnt usually convert exactly right, but its the only way if you dont have the original. This way is actually best if used just to back up graphic, not really for editing.