Confused How to Indentify Chillers Piping Configuration

How can I visually identify 3 or more chillers piping configuration (parallel / series)? Some time I go on site and the following the piping gets very confusing. Can someone show me some tricks assuming no drwaings are avialble?

piping schemes can become quite confusing, especially if the pipe and flow directions are not labeled.

i usually determine flow direction by starting with the pumps and put a few arrows on the insul. then i make a schematic showing flows and devices and incorporate it into the control drawings or graphics if necessary.
    IV IV IX

use your head for something other than a hat rack.......Gerry

Most large pieces of parallel equipment are now connected in 'reverse return' configuration. This provides an equal pressure drop for each piece of kit, should any one or more be operating.

For example if you had three chillers - 1,2,3 left to right - the return pipe would come in from the left into 1, then link in parallel to 2 and 3. The flow would come out from 1, link in parallel to 2 then 3, then form into the flow pipe away to the right.
    The pipework distance would then be similar for each chiller circuit should any one or more chiller be operating.

Pen and paper - follow each pipe and draw it as you go.
    Step back and you should get the big picture.

Agreed, draw it out. Then select a highlighter color for each chiller Supply and Return, then a color for common supply and return (yeah, alot of highlighters, but it works) this way you can make a rough disorganized drawing (if your not used to doing it, the 1st time is usually a mess) and still make some sense out of it, and then, if you want, you can come back and make a more organized final draft. You can even do the cond water if you have towers. It really helps and you can tell at a glance what is piped to what once your done.

What I do is start at the supply pumps and then move forward from the discharge of the pump. Different pipe configurations can be determined by your valves at your coil. All of the systems that I have replumbed I do my best to install direction arrows

Quote Originally Posted by Control Loopy View Post
    Most large pieces of parallel equipment are now connected in 'reverse return' configuration. This provides an equal pressure drop for each piece of kit, should any one or more be operating.

For example if you had three chillers - 1,2,3 left to right - the return pipe would come in from the left into 1, then link in parallel to 2 and 3. The flow would come out from 1, link in parallel to 2 then 3, then form into the flow pipe away to the right.
    The pipework distance would then be similar for each chiller circuit should any one or more chiller be operating.
    Can you do the Engineering (PE) for us? Can't get it thru their Thick Heads this is the correct way of doing Chiller piping. Really love it when they add a chiller to a loop that we already have flow problems with.

Good luck figuring out all the three-way valves.

Try to find where they keep all the prints.

Parallel all the pumps would take suction off the CHW return, and discharge to the 'in' on the evap barrel.

Series, the out of the first evap barrel would go to the in on the second. I don't know, I've never seen a series setup, maybe its a skid mount thing.