Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Furnace Fan Will Not Stop - Please Help

Post Likes

Furnace Fan Will Not Stop - Please Help

I was installing a new thermostat. I had to run a 7 conductor wire so that I could have a common. My system is a Amana Distinctions Heat Pump with a gas back-up (aux). When I put the new stat on (Debonair 400) it would not leave the off mode. I could not get it to go to heat or cool. I got concerned so I went to hook the old stat back up. When I removed the new stat, the fan on the furnace kicked on with nothing connected. I immediately hooked up the old stat and it will not shut off. The unit is not responding to the stat. I removed the fan wire at the control panel (G) for the thermostat and the furnace - nothing happened. The unit will not heat or cool either. The only way to stop the furnace is at the breaker (I do not have a switch at the unit).

What could be the problem?

Post Likes
    Please no DIY posts. See Rules.

You need to have someone look at it. Those T_stats bought at the Hardware stores end up costing you more than you bargained for.

Post Likes
    What could be the problem?
    a mirror could help with this....

Post Likes
    You shorted out your system, there will be parts to replace. Have a pro come and repair the damage done, and then have them install a new hoeywell or white-Rodgers T-stat.

The fan running is a safety feature for situations when there is something fried and a short has occured.

Further damage is very likely unless repairs are made by a trained, experienced proffesional.

Post Likes
    is that ^^^^ OK Stamas?

OK
    Last edited by Stamas; 01-22-2010 at 07:59 PM. Reason: :)

Post Likes
    You should have never messed with the stat with the power on the system. Even if we were allowed to give you DIY solutions there is just to much and could get too technical via the internet. Unfortunately the only SOLUTION is to have a professional look at it. They can verify the new stat is compatible and install it for you too. Just make sure you tell them on the phone what you want to be done prior to having them come out, some places dont like using a stat they didnt supply.

Post Likes
    These situations sure are sweet justice .

Home Depot, you can mess it up, we can help!
    Last edited by beenthere; 01-22-2010 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Changed language

Post Likes
    how many of these do you see in a year........

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by troutfly View Post
    Hundreds, most are good folks just trying to get by, last month we had one from cinci crying and begging for help who never even answered emails,or called when we offered to help, guess she got what she wanted and kept on going.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by troutfly View Post
    I dont get too many. 10 or so. What I get a lot of is someone will buy a thermostat, unbox it, read the directions, then call me to install it.

Post Likes

Thanks for the repsonses

Thanks for the reponses. I have an HVAC tech out to look at the unit tomorrow. The reason I changed the stat is because the original stat was a HoneywellFocusPro 5000. It seemed like a great stat except you can not change the "deadband" on the stat. If I set the temp to 68 degrees heating mode, it would cycle on and off every 5 minutes. My house never got to 67 degrees. The internal setpoit was like a 1/2degree.

My bills are skyrocketing with the constat starting and stopping of the unit. I am used to the thermostat calling for heat when it drops 2 degrees. There is no setting in this stat to change this. Any thoughts?

Post Likes
    ^^^

Have the equipment checked.

What is controlling your dual fuel? That thermostat does not have dual fuel capability. If there is a controller then thats not a problem. Now if you are running the furnace and the heat pump at the same time and the heat pump is shutting off due to high pressure (from the furnace) expect it to have high bills...

Post Likes
    It is a heat pump thermostat. The reversing valve is wired to the 1st stage of heat(O/B/W1), stage 2 (W2) is the furnace for backup heating.

There is a controller on the outside of the unit that has two relays or transformers on it. There is a condesing unit side, furncae side and thermostat side.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cmr_3168 View Post
    Thanks for the reponses. I have an HVAC tech out to look at the unit tomorrow. The reason I changed the stat is because the original stat was a HoneywellFocusPro 5000. It seemed like a great stat except you can not change the "deadband" on the stat. If I set the temp to 68 degrees heating mode, it would cycle on and off every 5 minutes. My house never got to 67 degrees. The internal setpoit was like a 1/2degree.

My bills are skyrocketing with the constat starting and stopping of the unit. I am used to the thermostat calling for heat when it drops 2 degrees. There is no setting in this stat to change this. Any thoughts?
    Believe it or not a good humidifier would make you more comfortable.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Post Likes
    The focus pro wasn't set up correctly then. If it was cycling that often.
    Or, your heat pump is oversized.

Post Likes
    I have been through the setup of the thermostat. It promises a +- 1 degree comfort. I recently wired the system to operate convential (gas furnance) and took away the heat pump in the colder months. When my themrostat is set on 68 heating, the unit kicks on and runs for a couple of minutes until the stat is satisfied. When it turns off, a couple of minutes latter it kicks back on, the thremostat still says 68 degrees. Why?

The stat should say 67 dgress for it to kick back on. It acts as though the setpoint is +- .5 degree. This causes the unit to cycle on and off a lot trying to maintian a less than 1 dgree setpoint.

Thermostat where you can set this degree differential allows you to make the system run more for a longer period and be off less.

Any thoughts on this

Post Likes
    A 1° thermostat will turn on the heat when the temp drops .5°, and shut it off when the temp is .5° above set temp.

Its set up wrong. Or your equipment is oversized. or both.

Post Likes
    How does the system being oversized affect the drop in temperature to only 1 or .5 degree. The oversized system would just make the cycle on time shorter, not make the cycle off time less.

Post Likes
    Actually it does. Furniture doesn't absorb heat as quick as air. So it doesn't warm up the .5° in the short on time. So after the furnace shuts off. the furniture is still absorbing heat. And it takes that heat from the air. Which cools the air, and makes the thermostat have to run the furnace again sooner.

Post Likes
    Did not think of it that way. I appreciate the help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in