Lennox or Bryant?

Hi, all

I'm new to this -- a homeowner in chilly Minnesota who has solicited bids to replace a 20-year old 90% Lennox furnace and a 6-year old Carrier a/c unit (plus a 21-year old water heater). In addition to the $1500 federal rebate, Minnesota has a special program that provides up to 35% off on high-efficiency replacement equipment. So, although my current system is working, more or less, it seems like the perfect storm of rebates means this is when I should replace the equipment, which is getting long in the tooth anyway.

I had several estimators out to price the job. I'm trying to decide between two bids. Here's the first:

Bryant 355CAV060080 80K BTU 95% eff nat gas furnace w/ multi (3) stage gas valve & variable speed blower motor designed for low cost constant fan operation. Adapt to existing 2.5" pvc piping.
    Bryant 124ANA036[ 124ANA036 ] 3.0 ton 16.00 SEER a/c condensor with Puron refrigerant. 13.0 EER. Corresponding Bryant cased cooling coil. ARI 3320320
    Bryant EZ flex 4" high eff 20x25 media type filter. Change twice yearly. [ EZ ]
    SS angle filter boot[ 25-X-20"-SS-ANGLE ]Angled for superior performance.
    Honeywell Vision Pro Touch Pad programmable thermostat. [ TH8000 ]
    Aprilaire 600 humidifier w/ auto trac control[ 600 ]
    **Lifetime factory heat exchanger warranty on furnace
    10 YR FULL PARTS AND LABOR on furnace
    10 yr compressor warranty - a/c
    5 yr parts / 2 yr labor - a/c
    Prices include sheetmetal, venting, gaspiping, a/c pad, refrigeration lines, electrical, labor, permits and tax.

Here's the second bid:

1-Lennox G71MPP-60C-090 natural gas furnace 88,000 BTU’s input,
    95.0 % AFUE, Precise Comfort Modulating gas valve and Air-Flex variable speed blower technology.
    1-Aprilaire 600A automatic humidifier installed
    1-Aprialire 2410 high efficient media air cleaner
    1-Honeywell T8321 digital prog.stat w/dehum.cont.

1-Lennox XC14-036, 3 ton high efficiency condensing unit,
    1-Aspen/Lennox CA48D44 evaporator coil with factory TXV
    36,000 BTU’S, 16.0 SEER/13.10 EER, R410A refrigerant
    1-Line set tubing 3/8 x 7/8 x 25’

Warranties on these units are 10/2 (parts, labor).

Is there a reason to prefer one of these over the other? Is Lennox better than Bryant, or vice-versa? My house is 2500 sq. ft, 2-stories plus basement. The old furnace was 88,000 btu (also a Lennox, I believe), 90%. Different estimators have varied in their recommendations, from 80,000 btu (3 estimators), 88,000 btu (1 estimator), 100,000 btu (2 estimators). The ones who did the most careful measurements and calculations came in at 80,000 and 88,000 btus. (They also said an oversized furnace is less efficient.)

The prices are rather different -- the Bryant system is a good bit less than the Lennox. The Bryant also comes with a 10/10 warranty on the furnace; that's $ additional for the Lennox. The a/c units are about the same on warranty, with the Bryant having an edge.

By the way, both companies are rated quite highly by the Twin Cities Consumers' Checkbook and by Angie's List. Neither has complaints lodged with the BBB.

Any help in figuring out this stuff would be most appreciated!
    Last edited by beenthere; 01-21-2010 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Removed price

20 year old lennox 90% should be a pulse, if it is are you the original owner? or is it just under 20 years? If so have the heat exchanger pressure tested, if it's failed(pretty likely if it hasn't been changed out already) then you could be eligible for a furnace at a reduced rate from lennox.

The lennox unit quoted is a furnace with a 5 ton capable blower with a 3 ton a/c , that unit is also available with a 3 ton blower in the same btu output, depending on your ductwork it may be a better fit.

Are you using the fix up Minnesota loan program for 35% back? I would go with the professional that did a load calc. Manual J, Manual D and everybody wins. If no one did one move on. If the duct work is under sized you will get to know there techs very well.
    Aint Notin Sweeter, Then A Brand New Heater!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, it's a pulse

Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty sure it's a pulse Lennox -- I'll see if I can get someone to test it for failure.

And both of the guys who provided these bids checked on duct capacity.

Update on Bryant versus Lennox

Well, it turns out that my old furnace (20 years old) is a Carrier Weathermaker, 88,000 btu. Any reason to prefer a Lennox G71 over the Bryant that was bid (see first post)? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Gnossos,

I'm just a home owner who has the Bryant Evolution 355CAV (60K BTU) furnace that was installed last December and in looking at your quote for the Bryant system I'm surprised they didn't go with the Bryant Evolution thermostat/controller.

http://www.bryant.com/products/controls/evolution.shtml

From that thermostat I can set the fan speed for circulation; it also controls the humidity level based on outside temp and indicates status and air filter life, etc. While I haven't had the chance to try it yet, it can also run the A/C in a dehumidify mode to drop the humidity in the house on cool, damp days.

For the A/C I have the next level up - the Bryant 165ANA single stage A/C. (Wanted 2 stage with the A/C, but that was a nice to have, not a have to have and it did save a bit of money on the whole package.)

The company that installed the new furnace and A/C has been around for quite some time in the 'Cities - highly rated and did a Manual J when they sized up my new HVAC system, and the one they installed back in 1985 as well, so they have a known track record with me.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Which contractor did you use in the Twin Cities?

Thanks for your post, BobK -- it was quite helpful. Could I ask which contractor you used in the Twin Cities?

Standard Heating and Air Conditioning.

The Bryant furnace would be better off with the corresponding Bryant Evolution controller.