I was servicing an Archguard B-vent insert today. No problems until I went
to reassemble. I couldn't remember where the spill switch wires went. One
had been connected to the TP terminal on the valve. The other wire went to a
terminal on the valve but I couldn't remember which one. As I got to looking
at it the whole thing didn't make sense, there was no way the switch was
going to break the circuit, at least in my electrically challenged mind. One
wire end was stuck in a Y fitting but not crimped. It just fell out as I was
messing with it. No matter where I put the 2nd lead (the one not connected
to TP) the valve would not work unless they both were on the same terminal.
The schematic in the manual showed one leg of the thermopile with the spill
switch in series. The landlord had the same stove so I went to look at his -
His valve has both spill switch leads connected on the back left side of the
valve at a terminal there. Adifferent setup altogether.
I can't find a terminal for my second wire anywhere on the valve. The
terminals TH/TP, TP, and TH don't seem to be where a spill switch leg should
go and the whole valve won't work if the spill legs are connected to TH/TP
or TH with the other leg on TP. I'm beginning to think this was the wrong
valve for this stove and that the spill switch never did work.