How often should new heat pumps get preventative maintenance

Also, what about furnaces? Do you save much money by buying a contract in advance?
    Last edited by Paul12644; 01-21-2010 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Another question

Northwest Arkansas via Chicago Area via Straight Up from There on Lake Superior
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul12644 View Post
    Also, what about furnaces? Do you save much money by buying a contract in advance?
    Others will say something else but I rejected a contract. Read it very closely before signing to see what they will NOT do (diagnostics, off-hours, etc.) and what routine maintenance you must do, typically 1-2 times a year at going rate. Some pros say that they never check on routine maintenance history but to me a contract is all I had to go on. Remember that on a new high end system it should be covered totally for at least the 1st year and parts warranty for 10 and maybe longer for compressor, not labor of course on warranty for parts.

Personally I would have heat pumps checked out twice a year, once in the spring once in the fall. As far as a contract is concerned you might save some money by signing up for one, discounted labor and part prices. It depends on the company you are dealing with. A furnace should be inspected once a year in the fall. Plus most manufactures require routine maintenance to warranty their parts, especially on these new 10 year warranties.
    Last edited by kontrolsfreek; 01-21-2010 at 04:30 PM. Reason: More info

Northwest Arkansas via Chicago Area via Straight Up from There on Lake Superior
    Quote Originally Posted by kontrolsfreek View Post
    Personally I would have heat pumps checked out twice a year, once in the spring once in the fall. As far as a contract is concerned you might save some money by signing up for one, discounted labor and part prices. It depends on the company you are dealing with. A furnace should be inspected once a year in the fall. Plus most manufactures require routine maintenance to warranty their parts, especially on these new 10 year warranties.
    Not the high end York YZH Affinity HP:

"Company strongly recommends regular periodic preventative maintenance on this equipment. The person most familiar with the equipment in your HVAC system is a Company dealer. The Company dealer can ensure your maintenance program meets the conditions of the "Company Warranty", maximize the efficiency of the equipment, and service your unit within the mandated guidelines with regard to unlawful discharge of refrigerants into the atmosphere.

EXCLUSIONS

This warranty does not cover any:

1. Shipping, labor, or material charges or damages resulting from transportation, installation, or servicing.
    2. Damages resulting from accident, abuse, fire, flood, alteration, or acts of God (tampering, altering, defacing or removing the product serial number
    will serve to void this warranty).
    3. Damages resulting from use of the product in a corrosive atmosphere.
    4. Damages resulting from inadequacy or interruption of electrical service or fuel supply, improper voltage conditions, blown fuses, or other like
    damages.
    5. Cleaning or replacement of filters or damages resulting from operation with inadequate supply of air or water.
    6. Damages resulting from failure to properly and regularly clean air and/or water side of condenser and evaporator.
    7. Damages resulting from: (I) freezing of condenser water or condensate; (II) inadequate or interrupted water supply; (III) use of corrosive water;
    (IV) fouling or restriction of the water circuit by foreign material or like causes.
    8. Damages resulting from use of components or accessories not approved by Company (vent dampers, etc.).
    9. Increase in fuel or electric cost."

They only "strongly recommend" routine maintenance. My understanding is that you can clean the outside coil twice a year, Spring and Fall, with a hose after disconnecting power. Of course, keep the grass clippings away from it and clean them off if you mess up. The inside coil IMO should be adequately kept clean, unless you have a very dirty environment (not defined), with a good, clean media filter changed as recommended by the filter manufacturer which in my case is 1-2 years, I believe (I am targeting every year). I have said elsewhere that in over 30 years of home ownership I can not recall ever being told that my inside coil should be cleaned and that was with a standard 1" filter and not my current 5" media filter.

i recommend twice a year to answer your questiom

Quote Originally Posted by kontrolsfreek View Post
    Plus most manufactures require routine maintenance to warranty their parts, especially on these new 10 year warranties.
    Thats for extended labor warranties.

Parts warranties don't have that PM requirement.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Besides some piece of mind. That everything was ok when the unit was checked.
    Most companies put PM/SM customers ahead of all others when a customer calls in for emergency service.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

We include the 1st year. Important to us to have the system checked too-we don't want warranty issues. Installing in the winter you can't check the charge properly on heat pumps or AC.

I shopped around for my parts and labor warranty between three Trane dealers. Got a fair price. Parts and labor for 10 years. Service once a year. I do mine in late August so cooling can still be checked and the furnace and HP heating checked for the heating season. I'm in a heating climate.

I change my filters twice a year. 4" media.
    "Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace through our Lord Jesus Christ.." (Romans 5:1)

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Once a year is all that's needed,spring or fall,for a heat pump.

Check the filter monthly, keep the outdoor unit clear, and if you notice a decline in performance or the electric bill is higher than normal, get the charge checked.

Doesn't a little bit of refrigerant get lost every time gauges are applied?
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

Quote Originally Posted by jerryd_2008 View Post
    Of course, keep the grass clippings away from it and clean them off if you mess up.
    Rookie Question.

I know dog pee can rot a coil but what about grass clippings? They do a great job at staining your pants. Other than blocking air flow is there anything they can do to damage the coil?

No - however, blocking the coil increases energy consumption, reduces capacity and may shorten compressor lifespan.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"