+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Educational Books for Gas Fireplaces

Post Likes

Educational Books for Gas Fireplaces

Does anyone know of a good book i can purchase that gives me the ins and outs of gas fireplaces? I am a registed gas tech however have stuck to primarily roughing gas lines as opposed to service.
    I would like to get into fireplace maintenance and repair. I know every model is different and owners manual has a lot of it but i was wondering if someone has ever come across a good book that brings all models/combinations, switches and fans together.
    Thanks again as always,
    George

Post Likes
    The best way to get exposed to the most models is unfortunately on the job training. You can learn a lot by becoming NFI certified and can find a class here: http://nficertified.org/pages_industry/industry-2b.cfm

I know of no publication which has everything in it. That would be almost impossible. That would be almost like seeking a book that has all combinations of heat pumps, AC and gas furnaces.

The NFI course is a great start, but even that can't teach us everything. I've been in the gas fireplace industry for many years and I still learn things daily.

Good luck on your education.

Post Likes
    Unfortunately NFI certification is not recognized or offered in Canada, Like you mentioned i guess the main way is to gain exposure.
    I will see how resourceful i can become in doing this.

Thank you again for your suggestion,
    George

Post Likes
    Just because NFI is not recognized in Canada doesn't mean there aren't great training materials there.

Bart

Post Likes
    They are a money machine for themselves and HPB. Unfortunately it's the poor and uneducated that fall for the "advantages" they sell.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by natgastech View Post
    They are a money machine for themselves and HPB. Unfortunately it's the poor and uneducated that fall for the "advantages" they sell.
    natgastech,

To my knowledge, you don't have to be an HPBA member to purchase the reference manuals.

It takes money and people to produce educational materials. Money and time invested has to be recouped by selling the materials. It's called a free market system.

I have no financial interest in the HPBA or NFI, but I believe that their training materials are well-done and are a great building block of knowledge as a hearth technician develops their skillsets. As with any text book, the knowledge has to be absorbed, understood, then applied - it is simply a basis for learning.

It seems you have some pent-up anger and frustration towards this organization. I don't believe that anger and frustration really has a place in this forum.

Studying, with the aid of textbooks, is how the "poor and uneducated" can change their situation.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in