Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    My only concern w/ these transfer grills is that you are opening up your wall cavity to your living space. Do they use a pass through type of duct to close off the cavity? maybe that was already explained and I missed it.

I would think you would want the cavity sealed because of dust, etc.

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dforster2 View Post
    Yes. I misread another post and thought a transfer grill was a return duct on the wall. But it is just a hole in the wall. I'm sure he won't have a problem putting those in. My master suite has 4 supply vents all together so that is a good idea. My last house had the slamming door problem so the transfer grill would have been nice.
    I was going to say that if your doors are closing on their own, then you have a problem. In our area, most systems are so short on return, the basement doors slam shut. This negitive (basement) pressure reverses the venting of the furnace and water heater. Does the inspector catch it? No. If someone hopes the inspector will make sure things get done correctly, they have another thing coming. Like I said in another post, most salesman wouldn't know a drive lock from a vapor lock. LOL

My only concern w/ these transfer grills is that you are opening up your wall cavity to your living space. Do they use a pass through type of duct to close off the cavity? maybe that was already explained and I missed it.

thanks.
    Let the heating guy explain it. But not to worry. It is just to let the air out of the room(s).

Northwest Arkansas via Chicago Area via Straight Up from There on Lake Superior

thanks.
    DF, just think of it as cutting out the dry wall and inserting a grill on the inside and the outside of the room wall. But first, I believe I mentioned that I had the contractor put in 2 x 4 blocks the width of the wall studs above and below the grill openings. Then I had him caulk all around those blocks. This should completely seal the opening from sucking in any any dust, air infiltration, etc. Done!

I also mentioned that I offset the inside opening from the outside opening so that sound and light does not flow directly through 2 perfectly lined up grills. I highly recommend doing this. I also added grills that have open/close levers on each side so that I can pretty much close the pass through completely or redirect the air flow a bit on either side. This is not essential but it is not expensive.

Well I had them install another return in the master suite so we don't have to do the transfer grills.

thanks.

Well I had them install another return in the master suite so we don't have to do the transfer grills.

thanks.
    Good, that will make a big differance. Hopefully, he didn't give you too much grief.

Northwest Arkansas via Chicago Area via Straight Up from There on Lake Superior

thanks.
    Our last house which we built had returns in every room. Now we have a house which we did not build with only one return on each floor. Our first house had one return on the 2nd floor at the top of the steps. The transfer grills were a retrofit and not a preference. If I were to build another house I would insist on an adequate return in every room.

Good choice!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345