+ Reply to Thread

Thread: charging 404a

Post Likes

charging 404a

how do you charge 404a into an ice machine. so do i turn the cylinder upside down and charge through the low side? the 404a cylinder says charge as a liquid only and do not connect to hi side.

so i can only charge through the low side? do i need to get a special valve that flashes the liquid into gas or is that already built into the cylinder. or can i slowly add liquid through the low side with the system turned on? what is the best and easiest way to charge the system?

Post Likes
    Is this system empty and been vacked down, or is it a top up after a leak repair?

If you don't know how to charge gas or liquid into a system, then you shouldn't be really charging it.

Are you in the trade or DIY?, as far as I know DIY advice for such matters isn't given on this forum. But you could wait to see what the other members say.
    You don't get owt for nowt.

Cheers ah kid

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chilliwilly View Post
    Is this system empty and been vacked down, or is it a top up after a leak repair?

Post Likes
    i took a few hvac classes at a jc a few years ago. so i've dabbled around a little bit. so basically i'm a student still. the system is empty and has been vacced.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chilliwilly View Post

If you don't know how to charge gas or liquid into a system, then you shouldn't be really charging it.

Are you in the trade or DIY?, as far as I know DIY advice for such matters isn't given on this forum. But you could wait to see what the other members say.
    You should atleast be under the supervision of a licensed refrigeration mechanic while transferring from one vessel to another any type of controlled refrigerant. I'm sure both Canadian and American guidelines are similar.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by upgw View Post
    i took a few hvac classes at a jc a few years ago. so i've dabbled around a little bit. so basically i'm a student still. the system is empty and has been vacced.
    I’ll give him credit for this response, he’s being honest.

Up

R4?? Refrigerants are blends and must be charged as a liquid. You can charge liquid refrigerant through the low side but be advised the compressor can be damaged if you’re not careful.

There are metering devices that attach to your hoses that restrict the liquid as you charge. Seeing as you’re learning this process it would be advised to purchase one of these.

Get your post count up (no pun intended) and apply for Pro Membership. The information you need is here in the Pro and Educational Forums.

Post Likes

Adapter

There is and adapter for the 404A. But if you are charging or topping off, you mite have a leak somewere?
    Mitch

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by frigeguy View Post
    You should atleast be under the supervision of a licensed refrigeration mechanic while transferring from one vessel to another any type of controlled refrigerant. I'm sure both Canadian and American guidelines are similar.
    Yes thats right the same applies over here, with being a regular member I just didn't want to elaborate any further without a moderator first posting a response. I haven't been accepted as a pro member, still impending I think (hope).
    You don't get owt for nowt.

Cheers ah kid

Post Likes
    Charge by weight through the high side while machine is off.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Harper View Post
    Thats the best advice, most ice machines are considered a critical charge and hard to get right if you dont' charge by weight.
    Love makes the world go around but cash pays the bills

Post Likes

you can screw up a weighed in charge by not doing it properly

it takes some practice to weigh in properly

practice makes perfect

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Harper View Post
    This is the key thing with ice machines. Charge is very critical with ice machines. I always charge 2 OZ. over to make up for hose and manifold. This is why you don't want to guage up to a ice machines high side port unless it's absolutely necessary. When I work on ice machines I only guage up to the low side while the compressor is running to avoid as much refrigerant loss as possable.

Post Likes
    I charge on the low side with the unit off. Liquid with charging adapter. Get it all in then let the unit set for at least 1/2 hr or so. The refrigerant has a chance to settle down and equalize both sides then start it up.
    There's TREACHERY AFOOT!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mcr View Post
    I charge on the low side with the unit off. Liquid with charging adapter. Get it all in then let the unit set for at least 1/2 hr or so. The refrigerant has a chance to settle down and equalize both sides then start it up.
    I charge both high and low depending on how much gas. then let it sit but usually only 5-10 mins

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by mcr View Post
    does your boss know this

charge on the high side and you won't have to wait

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post
    does your boss know this

charge on the high side and you won't have to wait

I work in house. While that sits, I go start another job. I've got over 300 pieces of refrigeration equipment to look after among other things.
    There's TREACHERY AFOOT!!!

Post Likes
    I like to charge, from vacuum, hi side first, untill either the full charge is taken or the it stops flowing. Then, I run the unit and slowly meter the rest of the charge into the low side. The tank is upside down for all of this and on my scale for this.

Post Likes
    if unsure and looking for real information, you should go to the manufacturers website for charging procedure, but you may not understand it at first. by the way, critical charge units such as this require a scale, and good charging practices. many hoses need to be filled to determine actual capacity prior to weighing in charge, but many are around three and a half ounces of charge per hose.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in