Underground Oil Storage Tanks

I've been doing some research on USTs and want to solicit information/opinions on the subject. I'm trying to be proactive and plan ahead. My goals are mainly these:

• Determine the best way to assess the health of my existing 34 year old 1000 gallon tank
    • Determine when/if I should replace my tank
    • Determine if I should decomission my existing tank
    • Decide if I should switch to another type of fuel like propane

Bear in mind, I would like to keep the plan costs down, but not to a fault. I also may not want to dig up my old tank. That will depend on how much yard damage will occur.

Presently I have a new oil furnace and 2 year old A/C unit (if you're interested, there is another active thread regarding the installation and sizing of these. I don't know how it will turn out).

I'm seriously considering converting to a heat pump at some point, but will still need to decide on the the back up fuel (electric, propane, oil).

I've also heard some people have tank insurance. How does one get that?

Quote Originally Posted by siearly View Post
    I've been doing some research on USTs and want to solicit information/opinions on the subject. I'm trying to be proactive and plan ahead. My goals are mainly these:

• Determine the best way to assess the health of my existing 34 year old 1000 gallon tank
    • Determine when/if I should replace my tank
    • Determine if I should decomission my existing tank
    • Decide if I should switch to another type of fuel like propane

Bear in mind, I would like to keep the plan costs down, but not to a fault. I also may not want to dig up my old tank. That will depend on how much yard damage will occur.

Presently I have a new oil furnace and 2 year old A/C unit (if you're interested, there is another active thread regarding the installation and sizing of these. I don't know how it will turn out).

I'm seriously considering converting to a heat pump at some point, but will still need to decide on the the back up fuel (electric, propane, oil).

I've also heard some people have tank insurance. How does one get that?
    I wouldn't go as far as digging your tank out to check it. You can have the soil around your tank tested for leaching witout any yard dammage. If it's ok, and your comfortable that it's ok, I'd leave it. I like oil when its all set up correctly. It's as nice a heat as you'll get next to wood.

Depending on where you live... you may not be able to get insurance for that tank. In my area, insurance co.'s are refusing to insure due to possible environmental issues (leaks) that can cause contamination of aquifers/wells/groundwater. Requiring property owners to excavate/remove/dispose of UST's & replace with above ground tanks that can be inspected annually. An option for indoor tank is double wall w/leak detection. Do your homework on this.

Given the age of your tank, you are on borrowed time. Depending on your area, you may or may not be able to "decomission" you tank. Removal may be the only option. We won't bury FO storage tanks anymore. Basement tanks only with adaquate containment only.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Quote Originally Posted by heaterman View Post
    Given the age of your tank, you are on borrowed time. Depending on your area, you may or may not be able to "decomission" you tank. Removal may be the only option. We won't bury FO storage tanks anymore. Basement tanks only with adaquate containment only.
    What is FO?

Steel Fuel Oil under ground tanks are a problem waiting to happen. After 30 + years it good that your looking into a potential problem and correcting it before it becomes a headache. Contact your local town / county and see what they recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by siearly View Post
    What is FO?
    Fuel Oil.