Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas Hackery

Gas Hackery

I wish I had my regular camera with me for this spectacle of gas piping carnage, but a couple of cell phone pics are going to have to do. This was in a 6 unit, 3 story building. Some people should be ashamed of themselves.

I just hope the guy that did that is certified in Trac-Pipe... some folks are not and they can create a dangerous condition.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Galatians 2:20-21; Colossians 1: 21-22 & 26-27; 3:1-4; Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service.

I don't think he had anything. TP cert, state lic, or otherwise. Around here, the gas company calls the town to see if a permit and pressure check is filed. In this case, I think he thought he could just slap together this mess and call it in. The gas utility had a different idea tho.

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    I just hope the guy that did that is certified in Trac-Pipe... some folks are not and they can create a dangerous condition.
    Yeah, they must be certified if they were able to buy it.

The tracpipe certification was a joke. I think my seven year old could get his. Certified or not certified this install reeks of Jack Leg Heating and Cooling.

Quote Originally Posted by DesMech View Post
    Yeah, they must be certified if they were able to buy it.
    There are a few other brands that dont require any kind of cert.
    Quoted by "bmathews"

"Just call somebody out. Nobody on here can fix it from over the computer."

I know. I think ga-hvac-tech was being a little sarcastic. I was just playing along. Anyone can buy csst at Menards and plenty of other places without the strict certification process of Tracpipe.

Quote Originally Posted by kontrolsfreek View Post
    The tracpipe certification was a joke. I think my seven year old could get his. Certified or not certified this install reeks of Jack Leg Heating and Cooling.
    I believe some municipalities have outlawed tracpipe

Quote Originally Posted by gasoilair View Post
    I don't think he had anything. TP cert, state lic, or otherwise. Around here, the gas company calls the town to see if a permit and pressure check is filed. In this case, I think he thought he could just slap together this mess and call it in. The gas utility had a different idea tho.
    I'm surprised the gas company didn't pin-out all the meters. I just see four locked out.

Around here that is a odd set up..not just the trac pipe..i meant the bank of meters in the basement. Most if not all residential meters are located outside in my area.

Go up to North Jersey. They installed the meters in the basement, then installed a glass block so they can read it from outside.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowirenut View Post
    Around here that is a odd set up..not just the trac pipe..i meant the bank of meters in the basement. Most if not all residential meters are located outside in my area.
    Could be an existing building that was piped with inside meters and the black pipe to the end user was replaced with the trac pipe.

Gas company here only puts meters outside since the mid 70's on new construction for residential and commercial.

If you have an older service with an inside meter they will move it outside for a fee (over $200 last time I checked). They don't even move it outside at no charge when they rehab the underground service lines to the customer in the older areas of they city.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowirenut View Post

Yes here in Indiana i've never ever seen an indoor meter. But go into Chicago and EVERY meter is inside.
    My dad's building in the city has a bank of 4 meters in the basement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast