Asbestos in duct tape? Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Confused

I need info. on this? Is this hazardous in older homes (say 15+ years old)? I do not know how to advise the buyers when this is found in inspection. In 20 years of real estate, I have never had this come up? Any advice is appreciated.

Are you talking about the white looking stuff? Here in Ohio it must be disclosed to the buyer. The stuff is not bad untill it is disturbed by removing of which the small particles become airborne and the inhaled to the lungs. ths is why most if not all hvac companies will not removed duct work unless this stuff is removed by an asbestos abatement company.Please let me know is this a forced air furnace or a boiler? I do have some info on the stuff and a few pics but need to know what it is on first.

I don't think that has been used in at least 35-40 years or so. If it is, ya need a company that specializes in removing it, or there is always the midnight dumpster run.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Dice, do you know if the insulation is asbestos on those gravity furnaces in Penn Hills? You know the neighborhood, Saylong, Pheasant, Rosewood... Have you heard of anyone testing them? We've been treating them as if they are asbestos, but I wonder if they are.
    Jason

Those old gravity jobs, did a lot of em. hmmmmmmm
    I am still alive so........
    although I am growing an extra toe.

[Edited by Diceman on 02-29-2004 at 03:59 PM]

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

I just know that a home inspector told the buyer that the tape around the ductwork may have asbestos - again it is the tape on the ductwork. We have never heard of this here. Now the buyer is worried for living there and that it will harm them. The home is 15 years old.

I found this question posed on one of them handymen sites, if it is any help. Here is the link too.
    Come to think of it, those old houses in penn hills probably does have asbestos in that wide tape, count your toes every month.

http://www.onthehouse.com/qa/122

"You can remove the old tape yourself. Moisten the old tape and remove as much as possible. Then, simply retape all the joints with two or three winds of new 2-inch-wide silver duct tape. As a contractor we are allowed to work on up to about a 120' of asbestos piping without special restrictions. A few inches of asbestos tape falls well within safe limits for us - and you."

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

15 year old duct tape containing asbestos????

Sounds like the home inspector is an idiot or sniffin to much asbestos get your money back he over charged you ??????????????

I think someone is confusing duct tape with asbestos tape. Asbestos tape is white/greyist looking found on the old systems that Dice was talking about.....not the new age duct tape. Kick me if I'm wrong.
    If every a...... could do this,I wouldn't have a job...

Originally posted by westemp

I think someone is confusing duct tape with asbestos tape. Asbestos tape is white/greyist looking found on the old systems that Dice was talking about.....not the new age duct tape. Kick me if I'm wrong.
    You are correct.
    Asbestos tape was last used 30 + years ago and you should
    know that UNTREATED asbestos is dangerous. Asbestos is a
    mineral and untreated and pulverized it was lethal after 30 years.
    My father died from it. It causes the lining of the lung to become cancerous.
    Treated asbsetos as pipe insulation or as tape is not as
    harmful unless made airborne.
    I worked in knee deep untreated asbestos situations.
    Fate will determine the outcome.
    But too much time is wasted on asbestos.

Thick white tape, wet it to put it on, at least 35-40 years ago.......not duck tape, quack quack.

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Wow, in Colorado

theres a box labled "i don't know" by the asbestos Q.
    I even use it. Ha Ha!
    During my lead guy's first week, [when he was a helper] the guys were tearing out an oooold furnace. One of the guys said "Jack, do you know Travis doesn't like asbestos?" I thought Oh-no, he'll quit so I asked him why and he said.....

"Hell no I don't like asbestos, I like pussy bestest!"
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast