We are running version 15 and recently the PC crashed. Installed Summit on the new PC, loaded graphics, etc and at this time updated our 3 BCU's from arcnet to ethernet.
The problem I am having is with scheduling. I have about 15 schedules setup and they all will answer to a normal event. My issue is only 3 or 4 of the 15 will answer to an exception event and for our building we use exceptions almost everyday.
I have checked every setting I can think of to check and cannot see what I am missing. We have used Summit for the last 10 years and cannot see anything different in the software or settings.
I talked to my local Trane tech today and he has no ideas. I'm hoping someone has run into this problem before I call him out to look at it.
Thanks for your time.