Horizontal Mounting of G71?

Long time lurker and as I shopped around for both the installer and equipment I found the comments on here really helpful.... Thanks guys!

I am looking for tips to watch for on installing a G71 in the horizontal rather than the vertical orientation.

Background
    Now I decided on G71MPP-36C-090 and XP19-036 with a IAT thermostat primarily because of the number of installers that work this brand locally. I hope that will pay off 8 years from now when I need service. I had two quotes and went with the higher cost due to their experience (+30years) and a recommendation from a neighbor. I even asked the sales guy which crew he would want working on his house hoping to get the “right guy”.

They are replacing a 28 year old Lenox furnace that was vertically mounted and located in a 58" tall crawl space. When they quoted they indicated that they were going to have to change this orientation to horizontal and I am fine with that but the installer arrived 2 hours ago and happened to mention...." Yea I am never changed the orientation of a furnace before..." Obviously there are a lot of changes to the duct work and this is not going to be a straight forward install.

So I did a search and didn't come up with anything specific but was hoping you guys might have some tips and common mistakes that I could watch for.

They are coming back on Thursday to do the heat pump so I have some time to review the work and make some requests to the installer if something doesn’t seem right.

Any feed back or links would be helpful.

Thanks guys,

Dave

nothing needs to be reconfigured in the furnace itself for horizonal install.

however the unit is installed either suspended or on a platform it should be supported end to end rather than front to back to prevent unit from sagging.

if suspended make sure they don't have supports blocking service access to unit.

QUOTE=t527ed;5621062]nothing needs to be reconfigured in the furnace itself for horizontal install.

however the unit is installed either suspended or on a platform it should be supported end to end rather than front to back to prevent unit from sagging.

if suspended make sure they don't have supports blocking service access to unit.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. I think you must be physic! They supported it with just four bricks in each corner. This allows it to sag in the middle which was your concern correct?

http://picasaweb.google.ca/lh/photo/...eat=directlink

Simple solution would be to place a plywood support on the bricks? The manual talks about a horizontal kit they offer but that would seem to be overkill.

In general I thought the tin work looked fine although none of the joints were sealed. Necessary?

It there also a better way to terminate the out door exhaust pipes through the wall. They are just pushed through with a silicone seal. I would prefer if the exhaust turned 90 degrees and headed up the wall.

Shouldn't the pipe have some type of screen to avoid water, bugs, debri to be sucked in? The run is currently 21 feet with 5 90 degree bends using 2" pipe. I saw the manual has a calculation to determine if that is suitable so I will have to run the numbers.

Also no crazy about the filter as it seems to be the really loose fit within the sheet metal. You can feel the leaking air around the slot to insert it. Am I being too picky?

Thoughts and comments are welcome.

Dave

I dont like the way that is installed. I mean those blocks will hold it just fine but I would have preferred an emergency drain pan under it. If there wasnt a way to drain it then cap the drain and have an float switch to shut the system down if it filled with water. Then instead of blocks used pump ups.

Mastic on the joints to keep them tight is would be the best. But most jobs I see in my area this isnt done.

Termination looks fine. And I wouldnt worry about screens over the intake because it will just collect debris and get clogged. One on the exhaust will get wet from condensation and freeze over during an off cycle and the heat wont work. Esp with that furnace that calibrates itself to the vent lines I would want minimal restriction...

Filter looks typical. I dont like the fact its loose, and therefore is sucking crawlspace air (dry and cold in the winter, damp in the summer) through the system and into the house. When installing in an attic or basement either a filter in the return (if there is just one big one for the house) inside the living space OR a air cleaner that has a tight seal are the best way to go.

I would consider having them install an air cleaner for a few reasons. First off the obvious, that filter solution is pulling in crawl space air. So its lowering the efficiency of the system. Secondly that filter isnt that great at filtering the air. Third off its not good at allowing air to flow through it, so it lowers the system efficiency even more...

Quote Originally Posted by CynicX View Post
    I dont like the way that is installed. I mean those blocks will hold it just fine but I would have preferred an emergency drain pan under it. If there wasnt a way to drain it then cap the drain and have an float switch to shut the system down if it filled with water. Then instead of blocks used pump ups.

Mastic on the joints to keep them tight is would be the best. But most jobs I see in my area this isnt done.

Termination looks fine. And I wouldnt worry about screens over the intake because it will just collect debris and get clogged. One on the exhaust will get wet from condensation and freeze over during an off cycle and the heat wont work. Esp with that furnace that calibrates itself to the vent lines I would want minimal restriction...

Filter looks typical. I dont like the fact its loose, and therefore is sucking crawlspace air (dry and cold in the winter, damp in the summer) through the system and into the house. When installing in an attic or basement either a filter in the return (if there is just one big one for the house) inside the living space OR a air cleaner that has a tight seal are the best way to go.

I would consider having them install an air cleaner for a few reasons. First off the obvious, that filter solution is pulling in crawl space air. So its lowering the efficiency of the system. Secondly that filter isnt that great at filtering the air. Third off its not good at allowing air to flow through it, so it lowers the system efficiency even more...

pretty much agree with everything CynixC said, i would prefer to see it supported like i said earlier. don't see much mastic around here and when doing side by side venting we use the termination kit from Lennox for a neater look.

i would have installed a media filter cabinet to give better filtration to that expensive new furnace

Thanks guys! I really appriciate your guidance and I will discuss both the filter rack and support to the furnace.

Ran the calcualtion on the vents and it looks like I am at 48ft and the manual recommends a maximum of 50 feet so the lenght of pipe may not have accomidated the outside termination kit. I uppose I will just have to remember not to knock it on the way to th back yard.

Is it normal to have a service opening on the coil for the heat pump. I would have figured at the time of installation they would allow access for cleaning in the service that Lennox recommends at the start of each season. I don't see one in the current install....

Dave

I generally use the eccentric termination kit. Only one wall penetration. I would agree that a nice air cleaner would have been a nice add on to that G71. Also, I don't see a vent tee on the furnace condensate trap.
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain