You know that little heat sensor switch isnt really important, lets just bypass it with a wirenut so if the fan should fail we can roast everything!!! not to mention lets not ground anything...errr if the people that installed this thing over 30 years ago were still around id kick there ~you know~! Also every other componet of the system suffered extensive heat damage and was scrapped...the switch proved to be faulty when i tested it with a meter sooo this guys little shortcut almost cost my house!!

[Edited by Boss on 12-28-2003 at 10:05 PM]

burned heaters

another common mistake when heat kit is installed make sure the overtemp sensor is installed up if possible (rember hot air rises) if fan quits you want that heat off as soon as possible

Im a "youngin" at 29 with only 5 years in the field. I live in Vermont, so we get alot of heating calls as well as commercial ac/r.........I can not believe someone would jump out a limit switch like that and walk away. Thats not just dangerous but inhumaine. I'd be livid if this was my house! The possabilities of "what could of been" had that not been caught are tragic, and its a shame. I'm a newbie in the field but even with my tiny five years of exp. this blows my mind. Look at that! Thank god, you found the problem before your house burnt down! Thank god!

Was the thermal fuse bypassed too? Doesn't look like it in the picture.
    Breeze

The second pic posted is my pic.......The room is a collapsed ceiling from a frozen boiler line in an attic. See my post under uninsulated boiler lines.

what did the guy that performes your annual maintenace and safety check have to say about it?? i would amagine he should have caught that. or did you never get the unit maintained?

kgod

Old G.E. heater; looks like.
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Originally posted by dandyme
    Old G.E. heater; looks like.
    Ditto -- Didn't the fuse links stop the heaters.
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

Saw something like that awhile back. The installers didn't have wire nuts so they pushed the wires into pieces of 3/8 tubing and crimped the tubing on the wires, then taped them. Few years later- visit from fire dept.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated